Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Expenses as a percentage of branch revenue for a period

MRoyW
8 - Asteroid

Hi, I have been stuck for hours trying to figure this out. I have two datasets - one with dates, branch names and expense accounts with values; the other with dates, branch names and revenue. These are of the form:

Expense table:

DateBranchPL itemExpense amount
2019/07/01ATransport29332
2020/01/01BMeals5647
2014/11/01ACleaning32562
2017/06/01ATraining13536

Sales table:

DateBranchRevenue
2018/05/01C67442
2016/02/01D33522
2020/03/01A1525
2017/05/01B5266

My objective is to show the expenses totals and also as a percentage of revenue (this is total for each branch and PL item for each filtered period) on Power BI.

I cannot figure out how to compute this accurately either on Alteryx or power BI.

Kindly someone help.

6 REPLIES 6
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

If you take your expenses into a summarize tool, you can group buy branch and sum expenses.  Then you can join the sales table on branch.  

you might need to create a month field as left(Date field],7) that would be part of the group by in the summarize and joins. 

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@MRoyW 
Basically, same as suggested by @MarqueeCrew , I made a sample workflow for your confirmation.
I have forged some data given the insufficient data volume provided.1027-MRoyW.PNG

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @MRoyW , if you could provide some more data we can try on that else you can try this and summarize on the basis of Branch or PL as suggested.

grazitti_sapna_0-1603790279140.png

In this workflow I have not used group by. It is total of all the revenue and expenses available. Please provide some more data for better understanding.

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @MRoyW 

Please provide more info. Are you looking for an app where you can use user interface filters to calculate or is it just a workflow output.

Can you please provide more details on expected output.

We will be happy to help 🙂 

MRoyW
8 - Asteroid

Hi @atcodedog05  @grazitti_sapna  @Qiu  @MarqueeCrew 

Thank you all for your assistance. I had done more or less the same thing that you all have suggested. I suppose my challenge is getting dynamic output that summarizes the expenses and maybe getting an average of the % of revenue for whichever period is selected.

For example, if someone wants to see branch level (periods extending column wise based on selection): 

Year 1/ Qtr 1/ Month 1
BranchExpense Amount% of revenue

and if someone wants to see both the hierarchy with PL item:

Year 1/ Qtr 1/ Month 1
 Expense Amount% of revenue
A  
Transport  
Cleaning  
B  
Meals  
Transport  
Cleaning  

In essence, the output is a table summary for any selection. I think an interface filter works best.

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @MRoyW , I have created a chained app try this if it satisfies your requirement.

1) 1st app for branch level output.

grazitti_sapna_0-1603862275113.png

2) 2nd app for hierarchy level output.

grazitti_sapna_1-1603862368732.png

After branch level app the hierarchy app will open itself. You can change the calculations as per your requirement.

If this is what you are looking for kindly mark this post as solution.

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
Labels