Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Execution of multiple Workflows based on a scheduler and event on Gallery

fardeen9983
8 - Asteroid

Hi all.

I am working on a scenario where I have 5 workflows each of which take the exact Input data in the form of an Excel sheet

The excel sheet itself is generated by a Master Workflow. The flow of execution is as follows:

• Scheduler executes Master Workflow
  • Master Workflow generates an Excel sheet
  • All the other workflows run one after another in a sequential fashion (the ordering of which is fixed)

Note - All the later workflows are exclusive and don't depend on the previous one to end successfully. They are just running in a fixed sequence

Now I am not able to get any idea as to how to run this on Gallery. Any suggestion would be most welcome

Thank you for your precious time and suggestions. Have a great day ahead

5 REPLIES 5
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @fardeen9983 - Workflow orchestration can be organised in a couple of different ways in Alteryx. From an Alteryx perspective, there are several forms of orchestration to consider:

• Intra-workflow orchestration: the coordination of data via connectors, preparation and blending of that content, followed by spatial and advanced analytics leading to the repeatable production of analytic datasets containing business insight.
  • Inter-workflow orchestration: the coordination of multiple workflows (including chaining and branching) with dependencies between the elements in the chain.
  • Inter-service orchestration: the coordination of workflows and external applications on a wider enterprise basis.

Each of these is covered in the sections below. For easy reference, a summary of the orchestration options are provided in the grid below.

Intra-Workflow

Inter-Workflow

Inter-Service

Block Until Done

X

Batch Macros

X

X

Runner Macros

X

X

Events

X

X

AlteryxEngineCmd

X

X

AlteryxService

X

X

Gallery API

X

X

X

Scheduler

X

Hope the above will help you to chose the best for your use case. 

fardeen9983
8 - Asteroid

Hi @ArtApa 

I am looking for the Solution involving Inter Workflow orchestration

As far as I have read and I might be incorrect, that Events and Runner Macros are not allowed to run on a Server/Gallery environment

And it would be very helpful if you could give a bit more details about the chaining of workflows and sharing the output of one workflow to another

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @fardeen9983 - 

• Deploying the Conditional Runner to a server would involve packaging up all required assets (including workflow yxmd files) as part of a single server-based workflow. Any changes to the underlying workflows in the chain would require a redeploy of the conditional runner orchestration workflow. However, CREW macros are an Alteryx product, that's why not officially supported by Alteryx.

Does it help?

fardeen9983
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @ArtApa Thanks for the Solution. I would follow through the article

TomDiroff
Alteryx
Alteryx

In @ArtApa 's last comment I believe that there is a mistype... It should have read
However, CREW macros are NOT an Alteryx product, that's why not officially supported by Alteryx.

Now, in 2021.4 that is slightly out of date as 2021.4 there is an officially supported version of AlteryxRunner.exe BUT only for Designer.. still no support on Server. The use of the new V3 API's are targeted as a solution for better workflow orchestration

Labels