Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Execute all SQL files in a folder and output results to Excel

jmstampe
8 - Asteroid
Good day,

I am completely new to Alteryx (on 11.0) and just started really diving into it a few days ago. I have .SQL files that I run and update regularly. I'm playing around with creating a workflow that does the following but keep hitting road blocks:

1. Point to the folder where all the SQL files exist
2. Take the SQL from the first file
3. Execute the SQL on a Database Server
4. Output the results in an Excel file
5. Repeat steps above for the rest of the SQL files in the folder
6. Output the results to the same Excel file in different worksheets.

I don't want to have to update my sql querying in multiple places (SQL file and Alteryx) so I'm trying to use the directory tool with my file specification as *.sql then have it run through the steps above using an iterative macro. Problem is I'm not sure exactly how to best set that up and was wondering if there was an example out there to achieve this.
15 REPLIES 15
NikhilVedula
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, 

I have 5 individual work flows, i want them to be scheduled dynamically to run them parallel at once.

can you suggest me a way to get this.

Thanks in advance!

jmstampe
8 - Asteroid

No specific way from an out of the box solution using Alteryx designer but is achievable:

Quick & Dirty - Create a scheduler on your machine that would run all 5 workflows at once.

Better way - Check out using the command line tool and/ or the Crews macros https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer/Run-multiple-workflows-simultaneously/m-p/429563

Sophisticated way - Utilizing an Alteryx Server to set up that dynamic scheduling and concurrency.

NikhilVedula
6 - Meteoroid

Hi !

Can i create a empty header file irrespective to the data in the file  from Alteryx which writes to a tableau hyper file and publish to the tableau Server. Please let me know if it is possible.

Thanks in Advance!!!

jmstampe
8 - Asteroid

I’m not sure I follow. Are you saying you want to publish data to Tableau?  If that’s the case then you can just use the “Publish To Tableau” tool in Alteryx. I think it comes standard in 2019+.

NikhilVedula
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks  alot JmStampe

Can i have a tool like Router transformation in informatica as same in alteryx  for multiple conditional statements.

jmstampe
8 - Asteroid

I know very little on Informatica but it appears you may need some sort of 3rd party app like Panoply.

For conditional statements you would just utilize the formula tool and IF/ELSE statements.  In the Reporting Interface of Alteryx there does exist a Table Tool that can create conditional formatting on outputted reports.

Not sure if those help out but a few ideas.

Labels