Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Exclude items with Specific leading Value

Inactive User
Not applicable

I am new to Alteryx so forgive my lack of knowledge. I know how to do things in many platforms but Im having difficulties with how to do simple things such as this: I have a list of records and in the lot number field of each record I want all records where the lot value does not begin with 8. How do I do this. Or lets say I want to exclude all lot numbers that begin with 835. Thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi @Inactive User 

you can do this with a filter tool and the StartsWith function:

TheOC_0-1603899904468.png
The '!' denotes that you dont want the results from this, so out of the true output, there is just those that dont start with 8!

Heres a quick explanation of the starts with function (found here https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/string-functions):

TheOC_0-1603900047567.png

I have attached a workflow showing this working! If this helped please accept as solution to help others find it 🙂
hope this helps!
Owen

EDIT:
in the case that it is a numeric field, you can convert the field within the filter to a string:

TheOC_0-1603900187184.png

Bulien
Inactive User
Not applicable

Thank you so much, that worked perfectly!

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi@Inactive User 
Not a problem, glad i could help!

Bulien
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

StartsWith() is kind of underused formula glad to have learnt now about it 🙂

Labels