Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Exception Reporting

raychase
11 - Bolide

Hello,

I have a master data source that contains records from many different companies (~20).  I would like to set up some exception reporting on this master file.

For example, if Field 1 or Field 2 or Field 3 is empty, then give me that entire row of data, as it needs to be completed.

Once I have a list of all records with incomplete data, I want to filter it by company name.

Once I have the data separated by company names, I'd like to send an excel output of the incomplete data to the designated data steward for that particular company.

I know I can do this in a very tedious and manual fashion (ie. 20 filter tools, 20 output tools, 20 email tools with the output as attachment).

Is there a better way to do this?

As as aside - what if some companies have sub-companies, and I want to include the sub-companies on separate sheets within the excel output for that particular parent company?

Thanks in advance for any help!

14 REPLIES 14
cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

Any chance of upgrading ? I won't guarantee that fixes the issue, but in 2018.4 I just ran this data (modified your data by adding a few more rows and it worked perfectly and I used to get the same errors you're experiencing in older versions.

2018-12-07 06_58_23-Alteryx Designer x64 - Exception Reporting.yxmd_.png

raychase
11 - Bolide

I just ran my data on 2018.4 and it worked perfectly.  I'll have to push forward with my plans to get the company migrated to the newest version ASAP.

Thank you so much for all of your help!

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

Awesome :)   That helps me as well because it's proof that it's no longer an issue.

raychase
11 - Bolide

I spoke too soon.

I tried re-running, just out of curiosity and was greeted with this lovely error:

Error: Output Data (8): Unable to open file for write: <<filename>> Error Opening file: <<filename>>
: This file is checked out or locked for editing by another user. (220)

It seems that the new version isn't the solution, unfortunately.

raychase
11 - Bolide

I lied.

This time the issue is confined to the SharePoint directory I'm outputting to.

I forgot that there's a mandated "locked" period once a file has been edited with SharePoint directories.

If I use a network drive instead, it seems fine.

Labels