community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE
SOLVED

Excel write lock remains after write is complete

Highlighted
Bolide

After Alteryx completes creating/writing an Excel file, the write lock remains and that file can't be read for at least a day until, for some reason, the write lock goes away. Has anyone else found a way to prevent or work around this?

I do understand this might be related to the idea @SeanAdams wrote which unfortunately is dependent on partnership with Microsoft to resolve.

@Arianna_Fuller

Quasar

Hi @JoshKushner I'm not sure if this is helpful to you but I'll share that I personally had a lot of trouble with Excel files being locked after write when I was using them to work as databases. For me, it happened intermittently and it was super frustrating. I switched to writing/appending to SQL to make my apps more robust. When I send out Excel files as attachments, I write them dynamically. I haven't had any problems since but I never solved the Excel file locking issue. If you find a solution, please let me know.

Bolide
It's funny to hear you threw it into a database too! I just finished writing the data to a raw table in our database today as our work around.

I'll definitely let you know if I find a solution. I do have a sinking feeling it will only get fixed with a Microsoft partnership though.
Labels