Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Excel output multiple sheets with different columns

CherylH
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Is there a way to create 1 Excel output file that has multiple sheets with various columns on the various sheets?  In essence creating pivot tables.

Output would be:

1. all data on 1 sheet
  2. 50% of the columns on another
  3. and 25% of columns on another

The only way I figure out is to select the columns and create various output files.  Trying to find a quicker way. 

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Are you able to provide a "before" and "after" of what you're looking for?

I'm thinking this could be possible with a batch macro of sort, but I'd need to look at the data to be sure.

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @CherylH 

Only solution I can think of is to place your output process into a batch macro with your control parameter being a list of field name to include on each iteration which would update - via Action tool - a Dynamic Select tool.

To prepare the data you'd feed into the control parameter, you can use a Field Info tool to get you a list of all your columns and then categorize them into groups which represent what fields you want in each output. Then use a Summarize tool to concatenate them to your grouping field.

I know this is very generalized and if you're still not sure how to approach this, shoot over some data and what you expect the final output file/sheets to look like.

Best,
Jimmy
Teknion Data Solutions

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@CherylH 
Not so pretty but hope this what you need.

1217-kumachow.PNG

CherylH
8 - Asteroid

Thanks I will try it.  Always good to learn something new.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@CherylH 
Thank you for the accept mark also.

CherylH
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Getting back to working on this.  Seems like lots of work prior to using selection tool which I can go from input, selection tool to output. 

Sorry but did not use all these steps. 

Sample data might have helped you, but I'm learning how to use this help tool. 

Have a great day!

KelleyS
Alteryx
Alteryx

I ran into this same question the other day and built a batch macro that combines dynamic select/write to multiple sheets in output Excel.  Here it is!

Kelley Sinnock
Strategic Customer Success Manager
Alteryx
Labels