Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Excel output format for multiple files

Tienemientje
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I have a flow that at the end has 5 output tools that write to 5 excel tabs.  I also have a formula included to make a file name based on a column which I use in the end to write to different files.

Let me put it easier: I have data for 3 countries mixed and in the end my flow writes this in 3 excel sheets with each 5 tabs:

1 file for Belgium with 5 tabs with on each tab an analysis

1 file for Germany with the same 5 tabs, but with of course data about Germany

and 1 file for Spain with the Spanish data on those 5 tabs.

The 3 files have a certain layout.  I've added some comments on top, I've used some nice colors, the column width (this is an important one) is how I like it so it is easy to read.  So I each time I run the flow it overwrites a certain range and the layout stays the same.  

In the future we would like to move our flow to the server version.  So then I will not be able to start from a template.

Other option I thought about is the reporting section and rendering to an excel file.  With reporting I can put the text on top and have the desired layout.

However, I cannot find a way to split up the files based on a certain filter.

Goal is in the end to either run this for all countries and I would have 3 excel output files (for Belgium, Germany and Spain) or even to have a certain input field in the server version where you can put/pick the country and you would get 1 excel output file.

Issue is that without the template, I do not see a way to have a nice looking excel output file.  And if I use the reporting/rendering function I do not know how to automatically divide the data over the different country files.

Is there anyone that might have an idea on how to solve this?

Kind regards,

Tienemientje

4 REPLIES 4
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You can use a template, even on Server. I suggest creating a copy of it using the Blob tools.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Write-multiple-excel-files-using-a-tem...

Tienemientje
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @echuong1 , I will look into that together with my colleague.

Is there by any chance also a possibility to have 1 template and that we have an output of 3 times the same template with different data (so depending on the country).

Currently we have 3 templates (in reality there are 30) which we overwrite.  The only difference is the name of the file.  However, it is still important that we can have the name of the specific country in the output file name.

Kind regards, Tinne

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Yes, you can create multiple templates and give them each a name within the blob tools. You'd export the data to the proper template created within the output.

ShravaniChanda
8 - Asteroid

Hey,

I want to update certain cells in sheet A which eventually effect other sheets B, C, D and soon. My aim is to just update couple of columns in Sheet A, which I was able to do it for one company code but the challenging thing it's done for one of my company codes, I do have 30 more company codes which required same formatted output in 30 different files. Any suggestion? 

Option that I have is to duplicate 30 excel templates manually and divide the results into company codes in the design and connect the result to 30 different output tools to achieve the result which is not efficient way. And also in future the company codes might increase always creating template manually creating an output tool makes tougher. 

Any direction/suggestion is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Shravz

Labels