Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Excel file corrupt after writing output

LinhNguyen
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to write my output into a template that has macros and pivot table. Every time I run the workflow, my excel file will corrupt and even if I try to recover it, excel says it cannot be recovered. (basically just click open and a message prompt up from excel to ask if I want to recover it)

Have anyone seen this situation before and how do you solve it?

Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
Tej_Kadiyala
5 - Atom

Hi Linh,

I've faced a similar issue when Excel macros were disabled without any notification in the "Trust center" settings. I had to select "Enable all macros" to get Alteryx to write output to the .xlsm file efficiently. I'm not sure if this is the only fix, but hope this helps. 

Cheers

Tej

LinhNguyen
8 - Asteroid

Hi Tej,

Thanks for the suggestion. Could you let me know where I can find that settings?

My excel workbook just corrupt after the output and I was not able to open it at all.

Thanks,

Linh

NigelW
7 - Meteor

Hi

I get this very often when I write out to excel, it is very annoying and means keeping many backup to revert back to, as it's not a case of if this will happen but when it is going to happen.

Not found a solution personally to it yet, will try the Macro option mentioned here.

thanks

Nigel

Amilykassia
5 - Atom

I have also met such problem before and I tried changing the Protected View Settings, here are the steps:

1. Go over to the File Menu and click on Options
  2. In the Options window, choose the last tab,Trusted Centre
  3. Now click on ‘Trusted Center Settings
  4. In the new window, choose ‘Protected View
  5. Unchecked all the options available and click OK

But if the problem is not in the setting of excel, you may need to sownloada third-party tool, I think tou can try the Bitwar, I have used it and I think it's good.

VikramNalawade
5 - Atom

I know this is an old topic however still facing this error even with Alteryx Designer 2020 version hence sharing what worked for me.

One thing I have noticed is; the Excel file gets corrupt if there is a sheet with Pivot in it. If you get rid of the Pivot sheet from destination workbook this problem goes away. At least worked for me.

KenMorrill
7 - Meteor

I have several workflows that create Excel workbooks on a shared One-Drive.  Once the workflow runs and creates a corrupt Excel file, it will created the corrupted file every time it runs.  (I use the Overwrite File option).  The only way I've found to get around this is to delete the workbook, then change the workflow to use a different file name, and repeat that process when it decides to corrupt the new file.

A very undesirable solution for a production environment.  

rollformer2023
5 - Atom

I know this is an old topic however still facing this error even with Alteryx Designer 2020 version hence sharing what worked for me.

One thing I have noticed is; the Excel file gets corrupt if there is a sheet with Pivot in it. If you get rid of the Pivot sheet from destination workbook this problem goes away. At least worked for me.

------------------------

roll forming machine

rollformer2023
5 - Atom

------------------------

roll forming machine

Labels