Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Excel data pulling

moshood
8 - Asteroid

Hi Community, 

I have a large excel workbook with around 10 tabs of different data within. 

I want to be able to pull to pull a handful of different cells into alteryx in order to join the data.

Can anyone recommend the best way to do this or an efficient way to pull certain cells from different pages. 

Thanks 

6 REPLIES 6
pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @moshood 

Probably the best solution since the data is different is to unfortunately use 10 data input tools and manipulate the data so it can be all blended together.

Pedro.

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @moshood ,

Would you be able to share the file with some data? I just need to know the name of the columns and the data type (if you want to replace your actual data is ok)

Regards

moshood
8 - Asteroid

Hi there, 

Please see attached. 

in short i would like to pull all of the info on sheet 1 and all of the grand totals from every page there after. 

the models i am working on will be more complicated but this will be an easy way to understand the process. 

thanks 

Mosh 

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @moshood,

Would something like this work? If your sheets have different schemas, a batch macro could also work. Dynamic input is simpler if all your actual sheets are consistent though!

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 8.26.39 PM.png 

moshood
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for sending this over to me.

If I used a macro, to pull all of the tables on each tab is there a way that alteryx would store it efficiently for use? 

For example rather than collect the grand total I wanted to collect and store the tables on each tab and then I wanted it all saved by the file name.  (Bearing in mind that I am going to keep received files in the exact format).

How would alteryx store tabular data from different pages.

Does this make sense? 

Regards

mosh 

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @moshood,

It depends on your intention storing the individual sheets. I built a sample macro that you can experiment with depending on your intention. If you want to save the individual sheets as yxdb files, the batch macro can help with that. If you just want to read all the sheets on top of each other (and they all have the same schema), the dynamic input will be enough.

I hope this helps!

you can also experiment with output configurationsyou can also experiment with output configurationsmacro workflowmacro workflow 

Labels