Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Excel Processing to Mutiple Sheets with Interface

aklaum
5 - Atom

Hello All,

Here is what I'm trying to do:

1. Read in a single sheet Excel spreadsheet.

2. Compare each record to a static list of Error Codes

3. Output the original data to a Detail sheet in an output Excel

4. Output the data that did not match the static list of Error Codes to a Validated sheet in the same output Excel

5. Output a summary of counts and totals for both the original data and filtered data to a Summary sheet in the same output Excel

6. Prompt the user for both the input and output files using Interface

I have it working, but there are a few things I don't like about the solution:

1. The Input and Output nodes always show as Errored because of the dummy file name (which gets replaced by the user selected filenames)

2. The App Results screen shows three of the same file because I'm writing everything to the same output spreadsheet.

2020-11-18_12-50-15.png

3. The whole thing seems a bit over complicated for what I'm trying to achieve.  

2020-11-18_12-54-40.png

Is there a better way to do this?  

Many thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @aklaum,

1.  Any time you are using a placeholder that is not a real file or is not a file accessible by the person running the workflow, the Input and Output tools will show an error.  It really isn't an issue as long as this is always run as an app as the file names will be overwritten.

2.  To only show a single file on the App Results screen, uncheck two of the Outputs in the Interface Designer - Properties window in the 'On Success - Show Results to User'  section.

3.  Your workflow isn't bad.  Apps tend to look more complicated because you are adding several tools.  There are multiple ways to join and output your data, but not that would be much simpler than this.  Since your three data outputs are in different formats, you will need three outputs as you have used.

aklaum
5 - Atom

Thanks @T_Willins for the quick review and reply!  I will carry on with your suggested changes.  

Labels