Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Excel Output to PowerBI

lcrosby
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

I don't think I've seen this specific issue brought up on here, so just wanted to check if anyone else had seen this behaviour.

I have an excel file which tracks case figures, a routine runs every day and appends the new days data to the bottom of a defined range.

lcrosby_0-1611063118026.png

This works absolutely fine, the data writes to the sheet and when you open it, everything is in order.

However, about 20 minutes after this I have a scheduled task on a PowerBI Gateway to refresh a dashboard using this data, and the new rows are not imported at all. Even if I open the PowerBI dashboard directly and refresh, this also doesn't pull through the new data added by the Alteryx workflow.

I've noted that if I open the excel case file, and immediately save it (without making any changes at all), then PowerBI can correctly pick up the new data. So it seems like the output from Alteryx, when appending to an existing sheet, is not somehow leaving the file in a format that PowerBI can correctly read it until the file is opened and re-saved manually.

Does anyone have any ideas or seen this themselves?

Thanks,

Leon

6 REPLIES 6
RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

@lcrosby I would recommend you try to go straight into Power BI as opposed to going down to Excel and then to Power BI.

Have a look at this tool which will help you:

https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/microsoft-power-bi-output-tool

lcrosby
7 - Meteor

Hi,

Yes I can (and do!) use that tool for other data, but this output file is also used outside of PowerBI. I could have two outputs, one straight into powerBI and one to a file as a workaround. To be honest, this appears to be a bug with Alteryx and how it's writing/appending Excel files, and if PowerBI is having trouble reading it, it concerns me that other systems may have the same trouble!

RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

@lcrosby give the output to Excel and the direct output to PowerBI a go and see if this works. It might also be an issue on the Microsoft side, ie. when saving to Excel.

Please let me know how this goes

Foldmaster
5 - Atom

I am having this exact same issue, where Power BI is not recognizing that an Excel file appended to by Alteryx has been updated. It won't refresh unless I open the Excel file and save it. It seems to be an Alteryx issue where it leaves the Excel file in an "Unaltered State" after appending to it. Any workaround?

KSassone
8 - Asteroid

Following: I am having exactly the same issue as I have several workflow processes that append .xlsx files on each run. The file correctly reflects the appended data record count. However, the data is not recognizable on Refresh in PowerBI. The data set will not return the appended record count until I open the file, Save over the same file, close, and Refresh within PowerBI. Any PowerBI Refresh will not recognize the new range in the xlsx file until I Save over the previous file.

CainãClímaco
9 - Comet

Same problem!

Labels