Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Excel Output to Current Date with Data in 3 sheets

danishrizvi
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I have data being split into 3 different sheets of a single excel file. I am able to write to a static excel file (by naming sheets in the excel file) with 3 different tabs created, however I want the "excel" (not csv please) output in todays date and my data still being split into the 3 sheets within that file. 

23 REPLIES 23
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @danishrizvi you would need to utlise Take File/Table Name from field and use a field with the file name and date included within that field that you with this option in the Output Data tool.

Output_28092020.JPG

I wrote a blog you might find helpful to understand on how to use this option.

danishrizvi
7 - Meteor

1 - The screen shot you have attached is outputting data to yxdb. I want the output to an excel file.

2 - Your blog talks about ouputting to 3 different sheets but looses the point of the excel file being named to current date.

3 - My main point is to have my data in 3 different sheets (static sheet names - Summary, Raw Data, Business Days) with the excel being named with the current date and the file name changes everyday with the change in the date. Really appreciate your response. Thank you.

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The blog shows how to make a dynamic field filepath in the formula tool to be used in the Output Data tool with the option of Take file from field name so in your case the filename plus the date which you can use datetimenow() function. Yes the screenshot shows its a yxdb was just showing the option you need to select. However by building your filepath with a formula tool before the output data tool and using the option of take filename from field should give you the output you want. I mocked up an example.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @danishrizvi 

Check the below link.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Copying-All-Sheets-from-a-Repository-t...

If you can share a sample file. I can prep up a workflow for you which will output file with filename or todays date.

Mention the desired filename format too.

danishrizvi
7 - Meteor

@JosephSerpis thanks a ton there. That was so simple and I was getting entangled with a lot of stuff. Appreciate your help 

danishrizvi
7 - Meteor

@atcodedog05 thank you for throwing a little more light with that link.

danishrizvi
7 - Meteor

Following up - any ides as to when I run it on my C drive it runs perfect but as soon as a change the location to my company's shared drive it gives an error "You must specify a sheet name". I have been extremely particular in changing the file paths in the formula tool and in the output tool both. But its the same error whenever I connect to a shared drive, and runs perfect on my local C drive.

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

That error would appear to say there is an issue with the sheet name would you be able to show a screenshot of the formula and Output Data. Understand you might need to edit/blur out some sensitive parts of the filepath but some screenshots would help.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Trying using relative path instead of absolute path.

I.e just a file name format instead of whole path

And save the workflow where you want the file to be outputted 

Hope this solves

If not please provide some screenshots or the issue and path formula used

I can help you out

Labels