Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Excel Multi row labels are getting cut off

Dan5
8 - Asteroid

I am importing an excel file where the column labels are displayed in two rows (they are a single cell, but formatted to display in two) for example: 'Risk Status' is displayed as:

Risk

Status

on import in Alteryx i only see 'Risk', but if i select the column label, i can see it is named 'Risk Status' in the 'Field Information' window. However in the Multi-Row formula tool I only see 'Risk' in the Group By section.

Is this a bug? Any one see this before?

5 REPLIES 5
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Dan5, I have seen this happen when the column header has a lot of white spaces in it. in this case Risk <.space.......>Status. In such cases I typically read column header as part of the data itself by unchecking First Row Contains Field Names field in the Input tool. I attempt to process these column names within Alteryx to remove the blank spaces if I don't like them.

Capture.PNG

Attached is a sample implementation of how I address such issues. Please let us know if this isn't what you are looking for.

Dan5
8 - Asteroid

Thanks!, 

That is a great find, and solution. It doesnt seem to work for my columns though, not sure why. Can you maybe explain the syntax a bit in the formula? Maybe i need to tweak it. What if i have many columns to correct? Would my only option be to write a formula for each column name?

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

In my example I had large blank spaces between two words within a header, which I addressed using regular expressions. Basically deleting all but one blank space between the words. As for addressing multiple columns at the same time, the multi-field formula could be of help. Can you provide us a sample file with sample headers to help replicate your existing scenario? The community might be able to build you a prototype that you can build on. 

Dan5
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, here is an example of my column headers

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Dan5, give the attached solution a try. This is how I set up my Input tool:

AbhilashR_0-1588968208934.png

I use the Multi-Field formula tool to apply the same logic across multiple fields, and the final output looks like this:

Capture.PNG

I hope this helps. Let us know if this addresses your ask.

Labels