Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Excel Multi row labels are getting cut off

Dan5
8 - Asteroid

I am importing an excel file where the column labels are displayed in two rows (they are a single cell, but formatted to display in two) for example: 'Risk Status' is displayed as:

Risk

Status

on import in Alteryx i only see 'Risk', but if i select the column label, i can see it is named 'Risk Status' in the 'Field Information' window. However in the Multi-Row formula tool I only see 'Risk' in the Group By section.

Is this a bug? Any one see this before?

5 REPLIES 5
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Dan5, I have seen this happen when the column header has a lot of white spaces in it. in this case Risk <.space.......>Status. In such cases I typically read column header as part of the data itself by unchecking First Row Contains Field Names field in the Input tool. I attempt to process these column names within Alteryx to remove the blank spaces if I don't like them.

Capture.PNG

Attached is a sample implementation of how I address such issues. Please let us know if this isn't what you are looking for.

Dan5
8 - Asteroid

Thanks!, 

That is a great find, and solution. It doesnt seem to work for my columns though, not sure why. Can you maybe explain the syntax a bit in the formula? Maybe i need to tweak it. What if i have many columns to correct? Would my only option be to write a formula for each column name?

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

In my example I had large blank spaces between two words within a header, which I addressed using regular expressions. Basically deleting all but one blank space between the words. As for addressing multiple columns at the same time, the multi-field formula could be of help. Can you provide us a sample file with sample headers to help replicate your existing scenario? The community might be able to build you a prototype that you can build on. 

Dan5
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, here is an example of my column headers

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Dan5, give the attached solution a try. This is how I set up my Input tool:

AbhilashR_0-1588968208934.png

I use the Multi-Field formula tool to apply the same logic across multiple fields, and the final output looks like this:

Capture.PNG

I hope this helps. Let us know if this addresses your ask.

Labels