Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Excel Input

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

I'm trying to input an excel file but the data coming in has as many as fourteen decimal places.  Easy enough, get rid of them in excel.  Not so easy, that part is out of my hands.  I get the file and have to make due.  So, is there a way to bring in the file and have it either drop or round off the decimal places as I'm inputing the file.  I did go into the SQL Editor and try Select FLOOR(*) from file.  I need to select all because the file size can be random.  THe FLOOR statement didn't work by the way.  Any one else try this with better success?

Thanks!

Brad

6 REPLIES 6
cbridges
11 - Bolide

Have you tried using a select tool right after the input and setting the field type to integer? Haven't tested myself yet...

@thizviz
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

One way I can think of is to use a MultiField formula to round all the values post the input tool or to change the type of all numeric fields to specified fixed decimal type, e.g.

2016-05-13_18-07-23.jpg

Can you post a sample file?

cbridges
11 - Bolide

That method should work, but I will let you know that you'll get warning messages about information being lost. That part can be a little annoying. I submitted an idea that we be given the ability to select "don't show again" for certain warning messages.

@thizviz
brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

I haven't tried the multiformula tool but I have tried using select as a fixed decimal.  It works but I'm getting a lot of warnings which I don't want. Was thinking if I could do something in the select statement in the input I could avoid warnings later on.  

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
When I tried in the multi formula didn't get any warnings on the truncation so might be worth a go. 
brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

The numbers came in as strings so I had to use the ToNumber and got a few warnings but I can live with them.  Thanks for the help, both of you!

Labels