Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Excel Input - Not recognizing Sheet Name

JCopland
6 - Meteoroid

I've been working with Alteryx for several years and never had this issue before.

I'm working with a new data source, which produces Excel files (.xlsx) 

The Input Data tool does not recognize the sheet name when I add files from this data source into my Workflow. (I'm downloading the file and then adding to workflow, it isn't a direct connection to the data source).

The excel file has 1 sheet, and it has a name. However, Alteryx doesn't see that sheet (screenshot below - note my Sheet is not called Sheet1)

If I edit the excel file in any way and save the file, Alteryx will recognize it. But I don't want to have to this every time I download an update. 

Has anybody seen this before and have suggestions? Thanks!

2022-04-11_13-12-05.png 

fb653431-1b82-49b0-a2cf-6ba55b34e3eb.png

7 REPLIES 7
TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @JCopland 

Curious one!

Are you able to attach one of these excel files, so i can try it on my side? Ofcourse, only if its non-confidential data.

Cheers,
TheOC

Bulien
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

My hunch is this relates to excel trust center settings for downloaded xlsx files.

JCopland
6 - Meteoroid

@TheOC  Sadly I can't attach - too confidential :( 

*I attempted to create a version of the file with no confidential data, however editing the file in any way makes it 'readable' by Alteryx...not just editing the sheet name. The plot thickens...

JCopland
6 - Meteoroid

@apathetichell  interesting ... although that would impact all the Excel files I work with I would think? (And I've never seen it before). Will see what I can find in that area though - Thx!

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@JCopland- Trust center has differing treatment of excel files based upon if they have macros & the like based upon their source (ie downloaded or not as well as what directory they are in). I've seen something mildly similar where this kind of problem related to trust center. Another potential way to test this file is try opening it in Python - you might get a more readily researched error message there.

JCopland
6 - Meteoroid

This was my solution, from here:
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/Access-Driver-Install-for-xls-File-Acess/ba-p/90145

1. Downloaded AccessDatabaseEngine.exe from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13255
2. In Alteryx, switched the configuration on the workflow input tool to an .xls type instead of .xlsx
3. Added a Select records tool (3+ in configuration)
4. Added a Dynamic Rename tool ("Take field names from first row of data" in configuration)

It works now 👍

Dinesh_met
5 - Atom

I have also faced the same issue, but I put the excel file on local drive, open and save (ctrl+s) it again. after that place the file on share drive (required location). Now It will work, will recognize all sheets. 

It might be happen when we download any data from web portal in .xlsx format.

Labels