Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Excel File Corrupt After Writing to Excel Range

zrotuno
6 - Meteoroid

Hello Everyone,

I have researched this issue on the Community however I cannot find a solution that works for me. I am attempting to write to an .xlsx file to a specific range. I created the Excel File and then specified the range where I want the data to be written:

zrotuno_1-1591272529565.png

Below is how the file is going to be structured (example is only first 3 columns) for use by my customers. Row 4 headers are customized to stay and then I write the data below that row.

zrotuno_0-1591272479515.png

When I run the workflow it runs successfully without errors however when I go to open the file I receive the following errors:

zrotuno_2-1591272687376.png

zrotuno_3-1591272700823.png

zrotuno_4-1591272730657.png

When I eventually go through the prompts and open the file, some of the data I have entered has disappeared and the grid lines are showing again:

zrotuno_5-1591272838169.png

I receive the same Excel File Errors when I select the "Overwrite Sheet" option:

zrotuno_6-1591273248200.png

Am I missing something here? Looking forward to receiving feedback. I am currently using Alteryx Version 2019.4.8.22007 however we do plan to update to the new version soon so not sure if a fix for this has been released in a more current version.

Thanks! 

8 REPLIES 8
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @zrotuno ,

As I remember, there was a bug related to writing to excel range when skipping field names that would generate this kind of excel corruption. 

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

zrotuno
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you @fmvizcaino ! I went ahead and unchecked that box and created a work around in my Excel file and that did the trick. Although it is not ideal (I have to hide a row) it does the trick. 

Has there been a mention of a possible update to correct that bug?

Thank you!

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @zrotuno ,

I've just checked and the new version 2020.2 has this bug fixed already.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

jonnyrask
8 - Asteroid

Whats was the work around??

zrotuno
6 - Meteoroid

HI @jonnyrask 

We are currently using Alteryx Version 2019.4.8.22007 as we are transitioning our workflows to the Gallery and want to complete that before we update however we do plan to update to the new version soon. Per @fmvizcaino  the newest version has a fix for this bug.

As far as a workaround goes, I just setup the excel file output to have my headers in row 5 and then created an "=" formula in row 4 to bring in the headers and then I hid row 5. Although it is not pretty it does the trick until we update to the newest version.

Hope that helps! 

alison
7 - Meteor

alison_0-1644005676443.png

alison_1-1644005704816.png

Hi...i'm having a similar issue using this version of designer. I've been running the same workflow for several years with no issues, we had an upgrade last summer, and about 2 weeks ago this error started occurring. 

I'm stumped....anyone know why this would suddenly happen with this version of Alteryx?

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @alison ,

I saw this same error recently and it was related to special characters in the sheet name. Not sure if it is your case.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

alison
7 - Meteor

Fernando, thanks for the tip. Didn't really apply to my file but it was worth the look!

Interestingly, it only happens when this workflow is run from a schedule, not when I kick it off manually from gallery or run it in designer (or maybe it's just been lucky timing, lol).

Labels