Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Examples for Connecting and Querying GIS Data from Census Dataset

bdanielatl
5 - Atom

I am very new to Alteryx (and I don't have a lot of time).

I have a list of customers with both addresses and lat-lon coordinates.  I need to do a lookup to find their Census Block Groups.  I have downloaded the and installed the Census dataset from Alteryx.  I used Allocate to build a dataset of the Block Group codes.  Can anyone point me to a basic tutorial of how to combine my list of customer points with the shapefiles to do a look up of the block codes.

Thanks,

Ben

3 REPLIES 3
bdanielatl
5 - Atom

I may have just solved my own problem.  I found a sample workflow under Help -> Sample Workflows -> Clean and Prepare Data -> Infer Zip Codes from Lat / Lon.

While the workflow doesn't do everything I need, it sets me up for getting the information I need.    See the Dynamic Input Step.  First, I pull in the GIS data with the data input step, then use a dyanmic input to do the lookup with my customer lat/lon and then pass the blockcode field.

dynamic_input_pass_a_field.png

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@bdanielatl,

If I'm understanding correctly, if you approach it like below, this should get you what you need.

image.png

bdanielatl
5 - Atom

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Labels