Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Event based trigger (AWS SQS) in combo with Alteryx Desktop Scheduler (no Server)

ThomasT
8 - Asteroid

Hi all, 

I've tried to find similar topics but couldn't find any (please correct me if I'm wrong). 

I have a situation where I use Alteryx Desktop Scheduler (not Server) to run multiple workflows on schedule with intervals as low as hourly. One requirement is to run one of the workflows based of a trigger from AWS SQS messages (or file changes in AWS S3). 

What is the best solution to make that happen? I can't use the event trigger macro (workflow running 24hrs re-iterating until the event happened) as that would block the other workflows from running causing an indefinite queue. I also can't use the Gallery API as there is no Server license. 

I was thinking if the specific workflow which is event triggered could be set up in windows task manager on the same machine/computer, but i'm not sure if it will cause a conflict if Alteryx+Scheduler is active in 2 instances in parallel for the period of time that the event based workflow runs in a separate Alteryx+Scheduler instance. Not sure if the second instance will also start triggering the workflows that are on the scheduler. 

My proposed solution in summary, running on a Windows Server:

• Alteryx+Scheduler running 24/7 executing all scheduled workflows
  • Alteryx+Scheduler running in parallel instance for a short period of time (random time of the day) in parallel to the Alteryx+Scheduler running 24/7

Thanks,

Thomas

6 REPLIES 6
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @ThomasT - FYI - Each license of Alteryx Desktop Automation (Scheduler) is a single named user license and may not be shared between multiple users. Also, it does not grant rights to deploy Alteryx Desktop Automation within Windows Server OS or virtualised environment. 

ThomasT
8 - Asteroid

Hi @ArtApa. I have no intentions to share the license. I'm intending to open Alteryx in two separate instances on one computer. 

I wasn't aware that Scheduler won't run on Windows Server, but I can just bypass that with a normal windows environment which doesn't shut down. With regards to the virtual environment, I have a working VDI for one of my clients and Alteryx runs with Scheudler on that VDI. 

The new client hosts most computers through AWS EC2 environment so I hope that Alteryx will work there with the scheduler without any issues. EC2 is pretty common these days where people work from home. 

Cheers,

Thomas

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

@ThomasT - My answer was not focused on the technical aspect, but legal. In order to stay compliant you need to check your license agreement and consult with your account manager. 

hugoscaper
9 - Comet

Hello, @ThomasT 

I'm more or less in the scenario you are, did you manage to resolve this issue?

Do I have access to the alteryx server and need to consume or send messages to SQS queues in AWS?

ThomasT
8 - Asteroid

Hi @hugoscaper 

we've ended up purchasing Alteryx Server. At this point we are not pursuing event based triggers from SQS but it would be easy to manage with Alteryx Server. 

Also, I've realised that you can run multiple workflows in parallel when using Alteryx Scheduler. The system setting allow that change and it would resolve my question from the top. 

Please let me know if you need any other info on SQS API or similar. We had a working system at some point and I can provide more details on the python script/alteryx workflow

hugoscaper
9 - Comet

Hi @ThomasT 
if you can provide what to send and you can send me via email, follow my contact: hugoscaper@gmail.com

Labels