Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Event Logging on Designer (local scheduler)

cmyer
6 - Meteoroid

Hello Fellow Alteryx Users, 

HELP!! I am trying to receive email notifications of the event logs (Engine Logs) every time a workflow runs . 

I have tried enabling events on the workflow configurations but i dont believe this works outside of server 

Alternatively I have set up the logging directory but because only one logging directory path can be configured for ALL workflows ( all workflows share one logging directory). I am unable to differentiate which log corresponds to which workflow. To resolve this issue I tried to modify the engine log ( example:  Alteryx_Log_[workflow name]_[number].log) but this is not possible. 

Ideally i could either :

A. Affectively set up the event logging workflow configurations for Designer scheduler

B. Have a Logging Directory path unique for each workflow

C. Have a unique engine log file name for each workflow (perhaps by being able to overwrite a log every time x workflow runs)  

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

5 REPLIES 5
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Have you considered using the Email event? It could be configured to send after the workflow runs and one of the features of the body is %OutputLog% which should give you what you are looking for on a per-workflow basis. 

20210826-EmailLog.JPG

cmyer
6 - Meteoroid

I tried this both with SMTP and with out SMTP populated. 

In the To and From I have my email but no log is sent to my email. 

This email event method seems to work fine on Alteryx Server but not on local runs. 

cmyer_0-1629992136721.png

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Ok ,let's come at this from a different direction. Based on your "Ideally" option "C":

1. Use Message tool(s) and workflow/environment variables to write the workflow/run information inside the log. 

2. Schedule a wizard to read the log file text, parse out the name information, and save new log files with new names.

3. ???

4/ Profit. 

cmyer
6 - Meteoroid

Would you be able to share an example or dummy workflow ? 

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@cmyer wrote:

Would you be able to share an example or dummy workflow ? 

Yes. These are rudimentary at best, but they illustrate the concept to try out.

"20210827-MessageWorflow.yxmd" is a simple workflow with a Message tool added to add the information you want into the log output from that workflow running. Note in the line that the Message tool creates in the results window/log.

20210827-MessageWorkflow1.JPG

"20210827-MessageWorflow_LogParse.yxmd" is a workflow you can schedule to read your logging directory, look for the information you want to parse out, and save that log with a new file name you can use. 

20210827-MessageWorkflow_LogParse1.JPG

I hope this makes sense and helps your situation. 

Labels