Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Ethiopian date conversion

RSLippe
6 - Meteoroid

Dear all,

I am currently working with the date which is recorded in the Ethiopian calendar format. Is there a way in Alteryx to convert it into Gregorian?

Many thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
wdavis
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @RSLippe 

Would you be able to provide some sample data which is in the Ethiopian Calendar Format? This is something I'm not familiar with, but sure Alteryx will be able to convert.

Thanks

Will

RSLippe
6 - Meteoroid

RSLippe_0-1575991497492.png

The date format looks normal. However, 2011-11-12 for example is actually  2019-07-19 in Gregorian format.

wdavis
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @RSLippe 

I have been unable to find somewhere online which has an exact way of calculating the Gregorian date from the Ethiopian. If you were able to find this, it would be possible to build this logic into Alteryx.

For example, at a very rough calculation, the Ethiopian calendar is 92 months behind the Gregorian. So if you use the formula - DateTimeAdd([YourFieldName],92,"months") 

Then it would get you close, however this is not the exact solution you are after! Somebody else on the Community however may have the solution for you.

Thanks

Will

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @RSLippe I've attached a workflow which should convert Ethiopian dates to Gregorian dates following the description of the process here 
I didn't have a lot of converted dates to check it against, so it might be worth checking the output, but hopefully that helps,

Ollie

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@RSLippe  If you wanted it in one formula then this should do it (where [Ethiopian] is your date formatted yyyy-MM-dd):

IF Mod(tonumber(left([Ethiopian],4)),4)!=0

THEN

DateTimeAdd(tostring(Tonumber(Left([Ethiopian],4))+7)+'-09-10',((tonumber(Substring([Ethiopian],5,2))-1)*30)+Tonumber(RIGHT([Ethiopian],2)),'Day')

ELSE

DateTimeAdd(tostring(Tonumber(Left([Ethiopian],4))+7)+'-09-11',((tonumber(Substring([Ethiopian],5,2))-1)*30)+Tonumber(RIGHT([Ethiopian],2)),'Day')

ENDIF

RSLippe
6 - Meteoroid

thanks a lot. it works well.

Labels