Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Errror in importing "Too many fields in record"

Cesc
8 - Asteroid

I have tried to import a large set of data of almost 3 milion lines. It's failing to import in line 2.092.056 and I dont know why. I have looked all over the community for this error but have no way to solve the issue. Would appreciate your help. Thank you

Cesc_0-1654262456717.png

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Are you able to share rows 2092050 to 2092060? My guess is that there's extra delimiters in the offending record. So if it's a comma delimited file, one of you fields might be "1 main st, london" and that extra comma creates an additional field that Alteryx doesn't like.

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Cesc!

Just wanted to add that one way to quickly find the offending record(s) would be to input the file with no delimiters and then use the Parse tool, followed by a Filter tool on the last column(s). This can also be an effective workaround to bring in your data, as long as you deal with any offending records.

Capture (1).JPG

Capture2.JPG

Input setting notes:

5) \0 indicates no delimiters

6) Uncheck this box because the field names will not be parsed

7) You may need to increase the field length from the default of 254 to prevent truncation errors

Hope this helps!

Deb

Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

when I encounter this error, most of the time it’s because I set the field length too small and one record has a bigger length.

Labels