Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error when running MACRO

dshaw
8 - Asteroid

I am puzzled to why I am getting the following area below when running a batch macro:

Error: Canada Thematic DA Maps_v7_2020.03.18 (1): Record #1: Tool #60: Exception parse error line: 1 column: 40 An exception occurred! Type:UTFDataFormatException, Message:invalid byte 2 (r) of a 3-byte sequence.

Any idea what this means and why it is happening?  It seems strange as the workflow itself works fine but the batch macro produces the error above.  I have not encountered this with previous versions of this macro I have used in the past.

5 REPLIES 5
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

What is tool #60? It looks like it's an issue trying to convert data to another format. You may need to use a select tool or something to adjust the data type before it gets to this tool.

Are you able to post the workflow/macro?

dshaw
8 - Asteroid

Please see attached.

dshaw
8 - Asteroid

I am starting to think it has something to do with the French names and characters.  So, I am going to sample by changing the french names and characters.  

Do you know of anyway to remove the French characters from names?

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

That could be the issue - the error message essentially says you have some corrupted string data coming from somewhere.  It is specifically saying that it has a character which it expects to be encoded in 3 bytes of data, however the second byte of the three is not valid. 

Try using the ConvertToCodePage([fieldname],20127) function in the Formula tool to downgrade the Unicode to simple ASCII.

20127 is the CodePage for ASCII. It does a nice job of choosing the simple version of the vowels without the accents. That way you don't end up with misspelled words.

You can also use regex or a reference table with the find and replace tools, but hopefully the formula above works for you to make it easier.

dshaw
8 - Asteroid

That worked!  You're a genius.

Thank you!

Labels