Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error using Join Multiple tools

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Dear Community,

I would like to ask how can i solve the following issues as i have change the all the join field to the type : V_Wstring and Date accordingly but it still persist the following errors.

May i know normally what is the root cause of following errors? 

SH_94_0-1620987261849.png

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
suby
11 - Bolide

Hi

Did you try running the flow again and see if that works and share the workflow with the data.

shreyanshrathod
11 - Bolide

@SH_94 ,

Changing the field types from the embedded Select window in JOIN MULTIPLE Tool won't help.

Change the data types in previously connected SELECT tools and you should be good to go.

Regards,

Shreyansh Rathod

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @shreyanshrathod ,

I have checked and all the format are as per screenshot below but the issues still persist. May i know what it means for the following three cartesian joins mean?

SH_94_1-1620988460802.png

Thank you.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @SH_94 , you have at least three inputs that we can see in the join. You've only shown us two of the data fields, and so at least one of the other fields is not in a date format. You need to ensure that before the data goes into the join multiple tool, ALL fields on which you are joining have the same data type. As you are dealing with dates, you will need to convert them using the date parse tools, not simply change the data type on a select tool.

This is the reason for the error.

Cartesian joins simply refer to those joins which result in the outcome of all possible combinations of all inputs. That's not causing the issue here.

M.

Bulien

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @mceleavey ,

Thank you for your prompt response.

May i know do we need to use date parse tools/formula if the date format already in the desired format , ie : 2021-04-11 which is the output that Alteryx will generate.

Thanks again for your help.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @SH_94 ,

No problem. If all your dates are in that format I would still recommend using the date parse tool to convert to the Alteryx format and join on those converted fields. You can simply drop them afterwards, but it does ensure you are joining on a consistent data field.

M.

Bulien

shreyanshrathod
11 - Bolide

@SH_94 ,

CHanging field types in the JOIN MULTIPLE tool won't help. These changes do not occur prior to joining.

Thus, use a SELECT tool before you feed the data into JOIN MULTIPLE tool.

As @mceleavey mentioned, DATA TYPES should be same BEFORE they are fed into the JOIN MULTIPLE tool.

If your dates are in the ALteryx standard format 'yyyy-mm-dd' then you can convert it in a SELECT tool, else use a DATETIMEPARSE tool.

(******Check the metadata of the ingoing datasets before JOIN MULTIPLE tool******)

Regards,

Shreyansh Rathod

Labels