Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
There's still time to register for the Q3 ACE Panel - Spatial Edition presentation tomorrow! | Need more information about the event? Check out the post here

Error reading GRD file: Invalid header

Highlighted
12 - Quasar

Hi all

I'm trying to read in a PRISM data set from an ESRI Ascii Grid (GRD) formatted file, but the input file is giving me the error of "Invalid header". I've checked the header and it is in the correct format as expected. Does anybody know what's causing this error?

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

It is a simple ascii file not a grd.  You need to use Comma-Delimited Text Files (*.csv) and use  \0 as a delimiter.  Then you will need to parse out the first 6 rows differently because it contains the ncols, nrows, etc.

Highlighted
12 - Quasar

Thanks, Linda. I'm confused about what the GRD file format refers to. I thought it was the ArcGIS ascii grid format. Does GRD refer to the ArcGIS binary grid format? If you could point me to documentation about GRD input, I'd appreciate it!

Highlighted
5 - Atom

Hi Philip - Did you find an answer to this question? I am trying to import an "ESRI ascii grid" into Alteryx but cannot get it to recognise it as geo-data. Ed

Highlighted
12 - Quasar

Hi @Ed1

No. As far as I can understand, the GRD format is from Golden Software Surfer software, not ESRI Ascii Grids.

As a work-around, I've create an Alteryx app to convert named "Convert ASCII Grid to Alteryx".

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Convert-ASCII-Grid-to-Alteryx/599b4abceffc2a09d400a82c

I haven't been able to successfully output a .yxdb file from Gallery, so you'll have to output as .shp until that is resolved.

Also, you'll have to change the ASCII grid extension from .txt to .csv. I can't get Alteryx apps to read in .txt files.

Labels