Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error : "has a different schema than the 1st file in the set and will be skipped"

dpuls
7 - Meteor

I keep getting the following error when reading a half dozen small Excel workbooks using a Data Input tool set to read *.xlsx from a specific folder. I have checked the Excel worksheets for format differences (header/footer, column headers, hidden columns, etc) and cannot find what is different if anything.  I have even entered the scores from one survey response worksheet to the one that works and renamed/saved - still to no avail.  I'm am definitely pulling my hair out over this one.  

Anyone seen something weird like this occur before?  Thoughts about how to troubleshoot?   I have to process a fairly large number of worksheets in te next day or so. Open to any and all ideas... Thanks.

Warning: Input Data (1): The file "C:\Users\dennispuls\Desktop\Working Documents\XXX\CapMat Survey\XX Cap Mat Responses\R2 - 03.21.2019 - XX IT Capability Maturity Survey_XXX|||`Survey$`" has a different schema than the 1st file in the set and will be skipped

18 REPLIES 18
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The schema also looks for changes in field type/size, not just name. That is typically the source of the error you posted. To avoid this error, you could build a batch macro where the control parameter updates an Input tool, rather than using a Dynamic Input tool. 

dpuls
7 - Meteor
Thanks I will use the example input macro to see if that solves the problem. I had checked the data types, merged cells, and many other potential schema issues (at least that I perceive as "schema"). I'm assuming row heights, column widths, fonts, cell fills, font colors, etc wouldn't be the issue?

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in the governing KPMG client engagement letter.
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You could use 2 input data tools loading the  1st file and you file in question and then attach a field info tool to each to compare the fields and datatypes of both. If it's too difficult to compare visually, you can use a join tool to highlight the differences.

This is only if you have a burning curiosity to find the difference. Otherwise, the batch macro route that @CharlieS suggested is the way to go.

garthn555
8 - Asteroid

I've found that blank columns are defined as doubles by Alteryx. When I put text into them they revert to v_string 255. Blank them out, and back to doubles. Not sure why yet

lolhum
5 - Atom

Thanks for this suggestion DavidP. Helped me find where dates were reading as double!

scbrownsr
6 - Meteoroid

I experienced this same error with .csv files and was able to resolve it by changing the encoding on the input settings. Hope this helps.

SB

gavin_data
6 - Meteoroid

Would you be able to expand on what you did you resolve this?

I'm receiving this error but only on some of the rows that are being processed (I don't have the tool configured to fail when one row doesn't work)

nloomba
5 - Atom

This worked for me - I swticed to UTF-8 and am no longer getting the error. Thank you!

scbrownsr
6 - Meteoroid

You are very welcome!! Glad it was able to help you!

Labels