Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error "Unable to make the final write to output"

AryanJ8881
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, i am preparing a workflow which will give me around 50 outputs from a single file. I am using a network of "Block until done" tool but still i am getting an error saying "unable to make final write to output". This error is intermittent and is not specific to an output. 

Is there any solution to this? I want to extract around 50 outputs in a single run.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @AryanJ8881 ,

Block until done only works downstream of that tool, and with 50 outputs, if you are writing to the same source, you are likely to run into this error if you are still writing to the source when you attempt to run another.

You can get around this by putting your output into a batch macro, then feeding the full path (including sheet if you're writing to the dreaded Excel) into the macro as the control parameter. This is a batch macro that will then loop through and write each one individually.

M.

Bulien

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @AryanJ8881 

It could be due to how you configure the output. A file that is in use (eg a Tableau hyper thar is open, or a text file that is opened or an excel that is being written on) cannot be written over.

would you be able to share how you want to extract / output the data?

if you need to write multiple tabs to the same excel or appending data repeatedly, one way is to use the “Block Until Done” or use a batch macro.

dawn 

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @AryanJ8881,

Block Until Done tools can be tricky to correctly configure.  If all the data being output is using the same fields then another option is adding the sheet names as a field in the workflow and using the Change File/Table Name option in the Output Data tool.  Alteryx will write the data to the correct worksheets while avoiding this type of error.  This can also be used in combination with the Block Until Done if you have a limited number of output formats.  Let me know if this may work for you and I can provide additional assistance.

AryanJ8881
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, thanks for the above solutions! I actually used a network/multiple level combinations of block until done tools to move the workflow in a specific sequence to write the output and saved the workflow in "C" drive of my computer. Now this error is gone. I think it was primarily due to less memory space in my laptop.

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Glad to know the errors are gone! Cheers.

Labels