Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error processing excel files dynamically

anbugans
8 - Asteroid

Hi

I am facing below error while reading (input) multiple excel files (.xlsx) using dynamic input option.

Dynamic Input (4) The file "\\shareddata\Revolution\Liquidation templates\Europe\Testing\NEW_Liquidation_Template_Golf.xlsx|Equipment" has a different number of fields than the 1st file in the set and will be skipped.

Job were running fine when run the jobs separately ( Without dynamic input option) and don't see any issue in sheets.

Attached screen shot for reference. Please do the needful

12 REPLIES 12
Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

That means the meta is not he same for all the sheets, and one listed is different from the other. The file structure can be just slightly different to get that error, it could be a different set of fields, or arrangement of fields, maybe a extra blank column, or even a different the length of a sting field.

One option is to make your own macro, and another is use a macro like Dynamic XLSX Input from the Crew Macro Pack: http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html

anbugans
8 - Asteroid

Thx for your quick reply. is there a way to identify the mismatch meta in excel files.

I am seeing bunch of macros in given link. Do you want to me use any specific macro from that list to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Ganesh.

Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

Sorry, I got the name wrong, "Wildcard XLSX Input":

Wildcard XLSX Input.png

Inactive User
Not applicable

Use the Info tool and then join in each spreadsheet's info tool resulting metadata to compare data types, lengths, etc.

anbugans
8 - Asteroid

Awesome. Working good exactly what expected way.

Thanks

Gans.

Begnuser123
8 - Asteroid

Hi, I have a similar type of workflow : multiple workbooks with similar tabs to be appended into a single sheet. I tried the dynamic tool but getting same error as mentioned above. Can you please share a sample workflow for the 'wildcard xlsx'. If I just give the wildcard then it asks for a control parameter. 

Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

@Begnuser123 It is designed to be pointed to a folder/directory of .xlsx files.

If you would like, I could setup a Webex screen share and walk through the process with you.

Begnuser123
8 - Asteroid

@Joe_Mako ohk, got it now. I have another query. I am trying to retrive xlsx files from a sharepoint and the structure is as:

Folder 2018_Jan-> a.xlsx,b.xlsx,c.xlsx,d.xlsx

Folder 2018_Feb-> a.xlsx,b.xlsx,c.xlsx,d.xlsx

I need to retrieve only b.xlsx from all the folders and only a particular sheet in that.

For testing I just put all the b.xlsx into a single folder and connected it to the wildcard macro and I am able to retrieve the required sheet. I am puzzled how to do the same from a sharepoint folder structure. 

Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

We can add a Text Input control for the Files Specification, as done in the attached (if you want to use this, you would overwrite the .yxmc file with this one):

add text input.png

Labels