Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error opening .yxmd file.

JeffreyJones
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

My workflow was doing just great, reading in a bunch of stuff and cranking out new data like a boss. But then I saved the workflow, closed down Alteryx, and now when I try to open that file up again, I get the following error:

There was an error opening "C:\my file name.yxmd"
There is an unclosed literal string. Line 3042, position 42.

Does this mean anything to you guys? I searched Google and Community for this and nothing turned up. Lemme know if you want me to send you this file or something. All my other workflows are still opening and working fine, it's just this one. I did all the standard troubleshooting that I could think of (like rebooting, restarting, moving the file off the network drive and on to my local machine)

Thanks!

-JEFF

4 REPLIES 4
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Alteryx workflows (the .yxmd files) are merely XML instructions for the engine. (So you can literally open up a .yxmd file in Notepad and see the XML...and modify it if you want...which can be risky, but is a process I've seen used by advanced users.)

My first guess would be that the workflow has become corrupted (especially with your comment about having saved it across a network) and has dropped something in the save process.

Alteryx creates backups of the workflows (same name with a .bak extension). What I would try is to see if you can open the .bak file in Alteryx. You can go to Open and change the "Files of Type" to All Files. The .bak files will show up and you can open the one you are having difficulty with. 

Another alternative would be to check if Alteryx auto-saved it prior to your last save. Go to File -> Open Autosaved files.

JeffreyJones
6 - Meteoroid

Awesome! Thanks so much!

Both of these methods worked. It was only the most recent save of my workflow that was corrupted. All of the prior Autosaves worked just fine.

GeoffJ
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

What an awesome name!

Geoff Jones

Geoff Jones
Director of Creative Services
merago
5 - Atom

Hello ,

I tried using cleanse tool in my workflow , i got following error message  Invalid Path : Cleansing 

any help on this?

Labels