community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Error opening an XLS (not xlsx) file

Meteor

Dan Jones,

your app works like a charm! Thank you!

Meteoroid

Ah yes, data type preservation. Great point. Ok, I updated it so now you have the option to convert to csv--OR XLSX! Woohoo!!!!

Enjoy!

ConverterAppScreenshot.png

(Ignore the 'missing dependencies' on the package import; app should work when run.)

Alteryx
Alteryx

@DanJones so fast!

Cailin Swingle
Sr. Manager, Customer Support

Amazing, thanks so much, Stef! For anyone running Alteryx on Windows Server, you will want to uninstall this upgrade:

"2017-10 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016 for x64-based Systems (KB4041691)"

Meteor

Dan Jones, 

where would I find the XRay.yxmc?

I get errors: Cannot find macro "XRay.yxmc"

convertXLS_error_Cannot find XRayyxmc.PNG

Thank you, Joanna

Meteor
Atom

Hi,

Will this tool work if the xls file contains more than 1 tab?

Thanks,

Rudi

Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner

@ClaudiaV

I've created a macro to help resolve the XLS issue.  It uses a Microsoft program (excelcnv.exe) that is already on your computers.  It might vary in the path to where it is stored, but that is an easy update.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\excelcnv.exe -oice "path\targetfile.xls" "path\targetfile.xlsx"

Knowing that this command line solution will fix a single file, I created a macro that has no input/outputs and is configured by selecting a folder to operate on.  The macro will make new .xlsx files for all .xls files in that directory.

This is a work-around.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
Meteor

Hi Guys -

My computer got a MS Windows update this week and good news - the update addresses this bug – though, with the various amazing work-arounds the Alteryx community have provided these past few weeks had bugged the bug away!

Back to the MS Windows update

November 14, 2017—KB4048954 (OS Build 15063.726 and 15063.728)

Addressed issue where applications based on the Microsoft JET Database Engine (Microsoft Access 2007 and older or non-Microsoft applications) fail when creating or opening Microsoft Excel .xls files. The error message is: “Unexpected error from external database driver (1). (Microsoft JET Database Engine)".

I have been able to run my various workflows that had .xls inputs and were tailored to .xls files without any error messages

Also, I have been able to create new inputs using .xls files without any problems.

I hope this fix is here to stay!

Have a great Friday…

Yusuf

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

That is great news!  Thank you for sharing it!

Labels