Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error on Render tool

FFFool
9 - Comet

Hello, 

I'm trying to create my first large push reporting using the alteryx reporting tools out to a .pdf file and then push that via email. There are going to be roughly 2,000 emails going out. 

Everything seems to work fine when I run a small sample through.

However, when I run the workflow with all of the data(Not sending emails yet), I get hundreds of lines like this on a few different render tools:

"Error: Render (207): Exception parse error line: 1 column: 40 An exception occurred! Type:UTFDataFormatException, Message:invalid byte 2 (b) of a 3-byte sequence."

A lot of the lines seem to process appropriately, but I've never seen this error before, and I can't seem to figure out which records within the render tool are even causing it, which makes it even harder to trouble shoot. 

I couldn't find anything about this error anywhere, so any information on what causes this so I can start digging for a solution would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks! 

8 REPLIES 8
AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The error indicates you have some corrupted string data coming from somewhere.  It is specifically saying that it has a character which it expects to be encoded in 3 bytes of data, however the second byte of the three is not valid.

Does your data have any 'non-ascii' characters in it?  That's where I would start looking.

Adam Riley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/adriley/
FFFool
9 - Comet

So, you are right, and I foung the culprit. JeanSébastien I'm guessing it is the e with the accent. Not entirely sure how to get rid of it now, though. It is coming out of a query straight into Alteryx and the Replace Function in the formula tool failed. I'm not great with Regex, but I would imagine it would also fail if the replace formula failed.

Any ideas? 

Thanks again!

AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Are you able to share a small sample workflow which shows the failure?  Then we'll be able to help you work out a solution.

Adam Riley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/adriley/
FFFool
9 - Comet

Hello Adam, 

Actually my boss helped me figure it out using a Regex formula. Here is the link to the post that helped figure it out. 

http://community.alteryx.com/t5/Advanced-Analytics/Elegantly-remove-all-ASCII-characters-outside-the...

This is sort of a solution, as it removes the letter completely, which isn't 100% what we want, but it will work. If we only had one special character in one name it wouldn't be a problem and we could replace with that letter, but we have several. 

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, couldn't have done it without you! 

Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

I've run into this problem before and used the ConvertToCodePage([fieldname],20127) function in the Formula tool to downgrade the Unicode to simple ASCII.

20127 is the CodePage for ASCII. It does a nice job of choosing the simple version of the vowels without the accents. That way you don't end up with misspelled words.

I do think this is a bug though. IMO, the Render tool should be able to handle Unicode.

John Hollingsworth
Clear Channel Outdoor
derekc
6 - Meteoroid

Agreed: we need the accented characters here in Québec.  Please update this tool to work with Unicode characters.

abhishekjndl
5 - Atom

I am getting an error "Error: Render (110): Data field not found" every time while I attach render tool with lift chart. Is there any other solution to permanently capture lift chart output apart from browse tool? Render tool is working perfectly fine while I attaché it with Logistic regression or Random Forest or decision Tree but not with Lift. Thanks.

Fz
8 - Asteroid

Hello @AdamR_AYX 

I have the same error. 

I am trying to create a report. I have two tables, i make an union of two tables and a layout with horizontal orientation. The render poster an error : "Error: Render (33): Exception parse error line: 1 column: 40 An exception occurred! Type:UTFDataFormatException, Message:invalid bytes à, of 3-byte sequence."

To khnow the problem comes from which table. i add render after the two basic table and i don't have the same error message after layout.

attached a screen shot, of my workflow. Please any help

please any helpCapture.PNG

Labels