Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error on Email Tool

JAOrton
5 - Atom

Hello folks

I've been creating a workflow to send out files to ~500 employees but the email tool doesn't like to have the layout as an attachment; I get the following error:

AlteryxTest1.JPG

It's quite a long error being a page and a half in Word.

I've tried a very simple workflow of Input > Basic Table > File Output and on those files the error appears in the Excel file in one of the columns. 

I thought maybe my data was corrupt so created a new file and am still having the same issues.

Many thanks

2 REPLIES 2
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It looks like when it asked for a filepath, you selected the Layout field. A Layout field is a field of data and not a filepath; the attachment should be the rendered version of that layout (and then you enter the file path). 

Either set that Layout field as the body of the email, or Render the file and then set that filepath as an attachment (.pdf or whatever). 

Does that make sense? I've attached an example workflow to show how you could define a filepath and use a Block Until Done tool to first render, then email that file. Check it out and let me know if you have any questions. 

JAOrton
5 - Atom

Hi Charlie

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes, it does make sense. My alternative was to put everything in the layout and have that in the body of the email to be sent to employees but I think auditors might prefer the information to be sent as an attachment.

I'll have a look at your attached file and define a file path for sending the files and see how it goes.

Thanks again

Labels