Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error in the output tool

TJeanty1
5 - Atom

Hi everyone, 

Basically I've created a template (excel file) with different tabs. My goal is to feed those tabs with my output created in Alteryx.

I've configured the output data tool by "Append to existing sheet" and append field map by field name.

But when I run my workflow a have one error for a specific sheet. "unable to open file for write...-error opening file...the process cannot access the file because it is being use by another process". 

I don't know why I have this error for this sheet. 

I've checked : the name from the template and the name of the sheet in Alteryx are exactly the same, the destination file is close and not use and for the other sheets it works with no problem...  

Do you have an idea ? 

Thanks in advance. 

6 REPLIES 6
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @TJeanty1

It sounds like you have a read write error because Alteryx is trying to write data to the same workbook at the same time. For these situations, I usually place a block until done tool somewhere in the process to ensure that Alteryx is only trying to write one worksheet at a time.

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You can't write to different sheets within the same excel document because when alteryx tries to write one sheet it is locking the file whilst that process takes place, hence why you get the error when it tries to write another sheet.

I've had this issue myself before and I've written a blog about the options available.

https://benjnmoss.wordpress.com/2017/01/16/writing-to-the-same-excel-file-in-alteryx/

Parralel block until done (crew macros) is the way forward.

Ben

TJeanty1
5 - Atom

Thanks for your explanations ! It's working with the block until done tool. 

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @TJeanty1

Awesome news!

We'd appreciate an Accept Solution if you're happy with the answer :)

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

EdP
Alteryx
Alteryx

Additional suggestions can be found here:  https://knowledge.alteryx.com/index/s/article/Error-writing-Excel-file-to-Shared-Drive

Ed Phelps
Sr CSE
Alteryx
Labels