Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error in data input

shashankanur
6 - Meteoroid

Hey, I'm trying to use an input tool to import a CSV file. For some reason, only 14 rows are getting displayed out of 500 odd rows. I'm also getting an error which says "too many fields". Kindly help me get through this.

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot (266).png

5 REPLIES 5
bhrmitra
10 - Fireball

Hi

Is it possible to upload the csv file for us to investigate and let you know the exact reason?

Thanks,

Abhra

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @shashankanur , is it possible for you to share the input file for better clarity? From this error I believe that some of the values of your file are comma separated that is why you might be facing this issue as the delimiter is set to comma in the config do it is working in the same way.

For eg: having a value like abc,bcd will consider 2 separate columns when delimiting.

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
shashankanur
6 - Meteoroid

Hey, @grazitti_sapna I have attached the csv file below for your reference. Kindly look into it and let me know the issue.

Thank you

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I put this together before you sent the example. This might help.

The input tool determines the number of columns in the dataset by looking at the first row. Any row with more fields will throw the error you are seeing. If you do have varying numbers of fields per row, one way of approaching this would be to read the file as a flat file and then use Text to Columns to break it into fields based on the comma delimiter. If you know the max number of columns, you can specify that in the tool or else you can configure Text to Columns to break the text into Rows and then Crosstab. I've attached an example that shows both cases. Of course, it's a lot simpler if you already know the number of columns. 

I put this together pretty quickly. Someone else might have a more streamlined method of handling arbitrary numbers of columns.

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@shashankanur , thanks for the file I have looked into it and it works fine for me, please have a look.

grazitti_sapna_0-1598855003478.png

When, I looked into the configuration of the input file in the screenshot, I noticed the Output File Name as field has been set to full path, try using this configuration and let me know if you still facing this isssue?

grazitti_sapna_0-1598855147505.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct and also hit the like button, if not let me know!

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
Labels