Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error in Tableau Output

JordanHowell
7 - Meteor

I'm getting an error message that says "the field "As of Date" is not of the same type as the corresponding named column in the Tableau Extract Table."  But I've ran this successfully multiple times and just today, I'm getting this error message.  I've checked both fields and they are both dates in the same format.  It also seems that Alteryx is changing how the date is formatted.  

For example, I use the date time parse tool to convert string mm/dd/yyyy  hh:mm:ss an actual date time format.  

2017-07-03 08_20_44-Alteryx Designer x64 - EPQ.yxmd_.png

But it comes out like this:

Wrong output formatWrong output format

Is there something I'm missing?????

6 REPLIES 6
Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

From your first image, I see the formula tool just before the DateTime tool is seemingly converting a DateTime data type to a String data type, and then the DateTime tool is converting that string back to a DateTime data type.

What data type to you start with and what data type do you want in the end? In other words what is an example value in and the value you want out?

You may want to just skip the DateTime tool, and just use the formula tool. There are two functions most useful in this situation (and you already are using one):

DateTimeParse() will take in a String data type and output a DateTime data type

DateTimeFormat() will take in a DateTime data type and output a String data type

JordanHowell
7 - Meteor

@Joe_Mako wrote:

From your first image, I see the formula tool just before the DateTime tool is seemingly converting a DateTime data type to a String data type, and then the DateTime tool is converting that string back to a DateTime data type.

What data type to you start with and what data type do you want in the end? In other words what is an example value in and the value you want out?

I start with a string, and change that string into the date time format I want (another string) and then bring in the date parse tool to turn that into an actual date column (to match tableau).

You may want to just skip the DateTime tool, and just use the formula tool. There are two functions most useful in this situation (and you already are using one):

DateTimeParse() will take in a String data type and output a DateTime data type

DateTimeFormat() will take in a DateTime data type and output a String data type

Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

I am not sure I understand you, but a common frustration I have is the Formula tool lacks the ability to change the data type of an existing field.

A way around that limitation is to use the Multi-Field Formula tool instead, because it has the ability to change a field's data type.

The attached example uses the DateTimeParse() function to take a String and make a Date, and following config (set to change the Output type instead of creating a new field):

String to Date.png

If this is not what you are looking for, please provide a sample workflow like I have here demonstrating your issue. Thank you!

JordanHowell
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the help.  So the multi-tool worked to change the string to the date but I'm still getting the same error when trying to append this data to the Tableau data set.  I've attached the workflow.

Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

If you create an new Tableau workbook and connect to the .TDE file fresh, what is the data type of the field?

JordanHowell
7 - Meteor

Ok so now we're getting somewhere even though I'm not sure how this happened.  When I reconnect to the .tde, it says string, but it is/was a date when opening the workbook that I've used since January of 2017.  Not sure how this happened. 

Labels