Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error in File importing

SJBI
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I'm new to this tool. The issue I'm facing is When I try to import .txt file which is ";" delimeted file. I'm not able to view the data in the Preview part. Could you help me in resolving this issue plese.

Alterix.png

20 REPLIES 20
s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

can you provide the sample for data 

hope you have configured the input tool like below

Flatfile.PNG

SJBI
8 - Asteroid

Yes I configured the settings as you mentioned. Yes the one which you gave worked for me.

US,1,ABC@USA.COM.x x u Ñ ÑÑ,1234;Active;

US,1,ABC@USA.COM.xxu ÑÑ Ñ,1224;Active;

This is where I get error I mean when I get special Character it's throwing error.

Error: Parse Error at Char(0): Empty Expression ( Expression #1).

Does it mean Im converting number to char?

s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

looks like the delimiter is not consistent here (you data set contains both ; and ,)

what i did , was i replaced all , with ; then parsed the data

not sure about the email field as it has some special chars. well, if you have any specific business rule then you can remove using regex 

PFA updated work flow

thanks

Saravanan

SJBI
8 - Asteroid

Have one more doubt. (1)Why my column name is repating for all the columns?

Name;emai;status

(2) In my data itself after my last column I have lot of null values. Because of this many null columns are creating. Is there any way to remove the Null colums (Whole column contains null only).

s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

because Split tool dont know what column names,

so , In the input tool configuration Uncheck the First row contains FiledNames

then After Parsing tool add DYNAMIC Rename tool then configure as below , and attaching the sample 

pr.PNG

AndrewW
11 - Bolide

Are you able to supply an anonymised sample of the actual file? Containing just a few records? Seems like you're facing multiple issues and simpler to get an answer with your actual file.

SJBI
8 - Asteroid

Hi Andrew,

Here is my data.

AndrewW
11 - Bolide

Ok, that's an ugly file to work out what is going on. To make things easier can you also supply your expected/desired output? - i.e. what columns it should have with contents.

SJBI
8 - Asteroid

Hahaha. I got a break point. Hope I come up with solution.

SJBI
8 - Asteroid

Finally I got break through and solved my Problem. Thank you for helping me to solve the issue

Labels