Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

General Discussions has some can't miss conversations going on right now! From conversations about automation to sharing your favorite Alteryx memes, there's something for everyone. Make it part of your community routine!

Error checking

HelenL
8 - Asteroid

I use Alteryx to prepare survey data for Tableau. I also have a workflow that combines data from many (near identical) surveys together to create a benchmark database. 

The surveys are live and also subject to change. The workflow is run monthly. So It isn't a case of getting the workflow working and then forgetting about it. As surveys are modified or new surveys come on line,  errors can creep in. So I want to build something that is robust. 

Can you please point me to posts / resources that show workflows that incorporate error checking e.g. "Have I lost any fields through the workflow in the attached screenshot?". I go the idea from an excellent training session at Inspire17 in London but I can't find the reference in the recorded materials. 

Thanks in anticipation

Helen

MarqueeCrew
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

@HelenL,

The place to start is with a field info tool.  Given a read of new data, are the incoming fields what you expect?  Join it to a known source and see if there are new fields present and if you've lost any data along the way.  What comes next is bespoke.  Do you want to check for:

• Data types - Is it still the same?
  • Domain values - Are values missing or new values present?
  • Content distribution - Is there a skew to the data?
  • Expected values - Is the date or other content what you're expecting for new data?

You might want to run these checks in a workflow and conditionally (CReW) execute the staging of the data.

Capture.png

Something like this will check to see what fields have changed.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
HelenL
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for your suggestion. The workflow comparing old and new is neat. 

HelenL
8 - Asteroid

How would I put a check into the existing workflow that takes the field count at the beginning of a series of transformations and then again at the end; compares them and returns an alert (ideally an error message or warning). 

Would I create a new field = count(id) at the beginning, another at the end, compare them?

Helen

Labels