Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Error While Installing Big query input tool v2.0.1 on Alteryx V2021.3 (and 2021.1.2)

ProfSherman
5 - Atom

Although I was able to setup Google BigQuery successfully on my primary notebook my graduate students (this is being used in a course) could not use BigQuery connector after installing it. (errors below). I tried tried to replicate their problem on another notebook of mine and ran into the same problem. This later notebook did not have a previous version of Alteryx on it as I was trying to replicate  the conditions my students had.

I did try to use the big_query_v2.0.1_cryptography "fix" suggested in another note in the Community but that didn't work either. 

Error: Google BigQuery Input (2): Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 4, in <module>
File "C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools\big_query_input_v2.0.1\big_query_input\__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
from .engine import BigQueryInputEngine
File "C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools\big_query_input_v2.0.1\big_query_input\engine.py", line 5, in <module>
from connectors_core.bigquery import BigQuerySchemaReader, SchemaConversionException, AuthorizedSession
File "C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools\big_query_input_v2.0.1\connectors_core\bigquery\__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
from .schemas import SchemaConversionException
File "C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools\big_query_input_v2.0.1\connectors_core\bigquery\schemas.py", line 4, in <module>
import google.cloud.bigquery
File "C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools\big_query_input_v2.0.1\Lib\site-packages\google\cloud\bigquery\__init__.py", line 35, in <module>
from google.cloud.bigquery.client import Client
File "C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools\big_query_input_v2.0.1\Lib\site-packages\google\cloud\bigquery\client.py", line 58, in <module>
from google.cloud.bigquery import _pandas_helpers
File "C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools\big_query_input_v2.0.1\Lib\site-packages\google\cloud\bigquery\_pandas_helpers.py", line 40, in <module>
from google.cloud.bigquery import schema
File "C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools\big_query_input_v2.0.1\Lib\site-packages\google\cloud\bigquery\schema.py", line 19, in <module>
from google.cloud.bigquery_v2 import types
File "C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools\big_query_input_v2.0.1\Lib\site-packages\google\cloud\bigquery_v2\__init__.py", line 23, in <module>
from google.cloud.bigquery_v2 import types
File "C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools\big_query_input_v2.0.1\Lib\site-packages\google\cloud\bigquery_v2\types.py", line 23, in <module>
from google.cloud.bigquery_v2.proto import encryption_config_pb2
File "C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools\big_query_input_v2.0.1\Lib\site-packages\google\cloud\bigquery_v2\proto\encryption_config_pb2.py", line 18, in <module>
from google.api import field_behavior_pb2 as google_dot_api_dot_field__behavior__pb2
File "C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools\big_query_input_v2.0.1\Lib\site-packages\google\api\field_behavior_pb2.py", line 39, in <module>
create_key=_descriptor._internal_create_key,
AttributeError: module 'google.protobuf.descriptor' has no attribute '_internal_create_key'

11 REPLIES 11
gangeles
5 - Atom

I was able to move ahead in this error by installing protobuf python package in C drive by using pip install --upgrade protobuf .

Atfirst you need to set path variable for python  in environment variable 

But after doing this I am getting this error. Someone from Alteryx Team needs to assist on this.

Can someone from team help in this

RUSA
7 - Meteor

We are experiencing the same error and we are no longer able to interact with BigQuery. The "pip install --upgrade protobuf" didn't address the issue.

walter-yx
5 - Atom

I am experiencing the same issue after installing BigQuery tools 2.0.1.  Error is:

AttributeError: module 'google.protobuf.descriptor' has no attribute '_internal_create_key'

RUSA
7 - Meteor

We opened a ticket for this. The issue is critical as we have several analysts that can no longer interact with BigQuery. I'll post up the outcome.

ProfSherman
5 - Atom

Thanks for opening a ticket and look forward to the solution when you get a response

walter-yx
5 - Atom

Until Alteryx find a solution, a colleague helped me fix my setup by doing this (I'm on Windows 10):

Add these folders to your PATH environment variable:

C:\Users\<your-username>\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Tools\big_query_output_v2.0.1
C:\Users\<your-username>\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Tools\big_query_output_v2.0.1\Scripts
C:\Users\<your-username>\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Tools\big_query_output_v2.0.1\Library\bin

Open up a cmd window and type:

cd C:\Users\<your-username>\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Tools\big_query_output_v2.0.1
python.exe -m pip install --upgrade protobuf

Restart Alteryx

Sethmb
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @walter-yx @ProfSherman 

Thank you for the post, and the solution, this has been documented and escalated to Engineering. I was able to replicate the error, and confirm that updating the protobuf through the commandline did work. I did not need to add the environmental variables, but that may be determined be the users environments. It looks like there was a recent update to protobuf in the Python Library site. https://pypi.org/project/protobuf/

The other workaround would be, 

1. Rename the Big_Query_v2.0.1.YXI to a .ZIP file.

2. Extract the folders

3. Inside the Input and Output Tool folders there is a requirements.txt

4. Edit both requirements.txt, and update the version of protobuf to 3.15.4. 

5. Zip everything back together, the two folders for Input/Output tools and the other files after extracting.

6. Change ZIP back to YXI. Install in designer. 

This will prevent having each user who is installing it to have to do the CMD prompt update,

As always, you can contact Customer Support and we will be able to assist with either of these workarounds or issues if these do not solve the error. At this time, I do not have any information on timeline of when this will be fixed on the public gallery, but please let me know if there are any other questions or if I can assist in anyway. Thanks!

caliles
5 - Atom

Do you have a specific ticket number for this problem?  I am having the same trouble.

FBerggren_Visma
5 - Atom

I had the same error and can confirm that @walter-yx solution works.

In my case I had to do the steps twice though since I needed "big_query_input_v2.0.1" to work as well.

Labels