Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error When Exporting to Tableau Hyper File Type

rjain
6 - Meteoroid

Hello.  I am using Designer 2018.1 and have a legacy workflow that successfully exports to a .tde (Tableau Data Extract). 

I have converted my Tableau workbook to use a .hyper extract instead and would therefore like to export directly to .hyper file with the output tool. 

However, my legacy Alteryx workflow experiences the following error when exporting (output tool to .hyper file type).

Error: Designer x64: The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe::ReadFile: Not enough bytes read. The pipe has been ended.

I am still able to export with a .tde in the workflow below and can also export to .hyper for other 'from scratch' Alteryx workflows.  This appears to be an issue only with my legacy Alteryx workflow.

HyperError.JPG

13 REPLIES 13
jroot
8 - Asteroid

I'm seeing the same behavior in several of my workflows as well. All I changed was the Publish to Tableau tool and set to Hyper. If I change the publish to tableau tool back to TDE from Hyper it runs without error.

MarshallG
8 - Asteroid

We are also seeing this error using the Publish to Tableau Server Macro when trying to publish to .HYPER file type. Works fine when publishing to .TDE

Capture.GIF

thedr9wningman
8 - Asteroid
JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi All,

If you aren't able to resolve, I would recommend shooting us an email at support@alteryx.com so that we can work with you to troubleshoot on these issues. 

Thanks,

Jess Silveri
Manager, Technical Account Management | Alteryx
rjain
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks.

I have now submitted this to Alteryx Support.

Runjan Jain, Data Analyst

HossC
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hey Everyone,

Just to give an update on this issue. We are aware of this behavior and are currently working on fixing it. We do hope to have this resolved in a future release. In the meantime, here is the workaround:

This issue appears to occur when users try to output a hyper file that contains extended ASCII characters (https://www.asciitable.com/) 128-255 as a standard string (v_string or string). This can be resolved by stripping these characters. This can be done using a Data Cleansing tool or by field type to "vw_string" or "w_string".

Thanks!

Hoss Carroll
Customer Support Engineer
Alteryx
lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I had a customer insert a Select tool and just recast all the strings as VW_String.   (@HossC suggested that above but didn't specify the Select tool by name.)  That worked too.

Lisa LePome
Principal Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.
thedr9wningman
8 - Asteroid

I've been recasting my variables, and now I'm still having the issue.

The use case is that the create new extract file version of the output file tool works, but if I try the overwrite mode, it doesn't work. 

I have made a habit of doing the data cleansing and changing all the string fields to VW fields, which is onerous. Now I still can't write to hyper, which saddens me. OutputBrokenHyper.PNGOutputBrokenHyper2.PNG

Also: As far as I know, there aren't any extended ASCII characters in my data set. Just regular, stupid characters A-z. 

archit14
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I found the solution. Just removing ASCII characters does not help. You need to do the below steps:

1. Convert all "string" or "v_string" to "V_WString". (Use Select Tool and convert them)

2. Use Output Tool and select .hyper as data type. Save the .hyper output file locally on your machine. (Do not use Publish To Tableau Tool, yet)

3. Open 10.5 Tableau dashboard, connect to local .hyper file. Replace data source to use this local .hyper file.

4. Publish the Data Source from your 10.5 Tableau Workbook, you can overwrite an existing data source on your Tableau server.

5. Go back to your workflow, replace the output tool with the v2018.1 Publish to Tableau tool. Select overwrite .hyper and to overwrite on Tableau server.

Labels