Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error: Type mismatch. Number provided where a String is required

JP02
7 - Meteor

Hi all, 

I am getting an error:  Type mismatch.  Number provided where a String is required when I am trying to perform the following:

[COL1] = Type is double

[COL2] = the new column this is creating, Type is V_WString

IF IsNull([COL1]) THEN Null() ELSEIF Length([COL1]) = 8 THEN LEFT([COL1], 4) + "-" + Substring([COL1], 5,2) + "-" RIGHT(COL1], 2)) ELSE DateTimeFormat(DateTimeAdd("1899-12-30", [COL1], "days"), "%Y-%m-%d") ENDIF

Thanks for your help!

5 REPLIES 5
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi JP02,

Right, left, length and substring function demand a text in the string parameter.

We can use the function tostring() to modify the [COL1] type, another way is to use a select tool before.

It should be like this.

IF IsNull([COL1]) THEN Null() ELSEIF Length(tostring([COL1])) = 8 THEN LEFT(tostring([COL1]), 4) + "-" + Substring(tostring([COL1]), 5,2) + "-" RIGHT(tostring(COL1]), 2)) ELSE DateTimeFormat(DateTimeAdd("1899-12-30", [COL1], "days"), "%Y-%m-%d") ENDIF

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

JP02
7 - Meteor

Hi Fernando!

I am gong to try that right now!  I kept staring at it, thinking there had to be a function that I could call to convert the number to a string.  I tried the Select tool to convert earlier, but the DateTimeAdd seems to expect a number, and so I was hitting a wall.  I will let you know what happens in a few minutes!

Thanks again.

JP

JP02
7 - Meteor

Worked!! Thanks Much!

JP

JokeFun
8 - Asteroid

Hi, in my input file, the valueDate changes from time to time. In one report it is Double format while in another one it's V_String.

I used below formula and it still says "Number provided where a string is required." 

if length(tostring([valuedate]))=8 then datetimediff(datetimeparse(LEFT(tostring([valueDate]),4)+SUBSTRING(tostring([valueDate]),5,2)+SUBSTRING(tostring([valueDate]),8,2) ,"%y%m%d"),[startDate],"days")+2
else tonumber([valueDate]) endif

where [startdate] is 1900-01-01

JokeFun
8 - Asteroid

missed another elseif

if length(tostring([valuedate]))=8 then datetimediff( datetimeparse(LEFT(tostring([valueDate]),4)+SUBSTRING(tostring([valueDate]),5,2)+SUBSTRING(tostring([valueDate]),8,2) ,"%y%m%d"),[startDate],"days")+2

elseif length(trim(tostring([valuedate])))=10 then datetimediff(datetimeparse(LEFT(tostring(trim([valueDate])),4)+SUBSTRING(tostring(trim([valueDate])),5,2)+SUBSTRING(tostring(trim([valueDate])),8,2) ,"%y%m%d"),[startDate],"days")+2

else tonumber([valueDate]) endif

So does that mean the TRIM function should also follow a string?

Labels