Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error The formula resulted in a string but the field is numeric Use To Number

dlemoine
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to write a formula but I am getting an error 'The formula "Activity Completed" resulted in a string but the field is numeric Use ToNumber (...) if this is correct. (Expression #1)

The formula is as follows:

If [Activity Completed]=0 THEN 'NO'

ELSEIF [Activity Completed]=1 THEN 'YES'

ELSE

Null()

ENDIF

The data type is Int16. I tried to change the activity completed from 'Int16' to 'V_WString') at the select stage but then got a different message.

Any ideas how I can get the above formula to work?

2 REPLIES 2
DataNath
17 - Castor

By any chance are you trying to edit the current field, rather than add a new one? If so, the issue is that you're trying to replace numeric values with possible string outputs. In this case, I would make a new field and then use a Select afterwards to remove the original field and rename the latest. Or, add a select before the Formula tool to change [Activity Completed] to a string data type, and change the expression to:

If [Activity Completed]='0' THEN 'NO'

ELSEIF [Activity Completed]='1' THEN 'YES'

ELSE

Null()

ENDIF

You'll need the numbers in '' now, as they'll be in text form once you change the field type to a string with select.

dlemoine
6 - Meteoroid

I added a new column and this has worked. Thank you for your help.

Labels