Now that it's live, don't forget to accept your certification badge on Credly today! Learn more here.

Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Error SQLColAttribute(Numeric)

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

I'm getting an error bring in a 32bit ODBC (only have it in 32bit) data using an input with the visual query builder.  I'm getting athe error on the Input Error SQLColAttribute(Numberic): [Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle]Descriptor type out of range.  Has anyone else seen this and how was it fixed?

Thank you 

Brad

2 REPLIES 2
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

We got a similarly cryptic message on a database connection to SQL which turned out to be a field which was oversized to come in via the current ODBC driver.

A few things that you can try:

a) given that this is an ODBC error - try it in MS Access or Excel (run the same query against your Oracle DB but through MS Access or EXcel) to eliminate Alteryx as the cause

-  If this gives you the same error then you know it's either the ODBC driver or a translation of your data

- Try bringing back something simple like Select count(*) from your table to see if htat runs - from there you can debug which field is causing the issue.

- Only robust plan here is to find a way to work around it, or to get an upgraded ODBC driver

b) If this query does work in Access / Excel then this is something that Alteryx is doing with the query (for example - for some databases, Alteryx issues a "Prepare" command to make the query faster)

- in this case, the best step is to strip this flow down to the minimum possible set of things that still replicate the issue (see if you can replicate it with 1 column in the data table, for example), and then post the flow; the table definition; and the details of your driver to this forum so that the more technical team can take a look at what's happening.

Cheers @brad_j_crep

Sean

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.databases.oracle.misc/bMoaERmW08o

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSEPEK_11.0.0/odbc/src/tpc/db2z_fncolattribute.html

Treyson
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

I miss @SeanAdams answers like this.

Treyson Marks
Senior Analytics Engineer
PK Global
Labels