Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error: R (10): The R.exe exit code (3221225727) indicated an error.

rtweaverjr
6 - Meteoroid

This message pops up whenever I try to run the Weekly Challenge 18 solution. When I dug a little deeper, the message is coming from an underlying Macro called "Association Analysis".

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 3.52.00 PM.png

Also, the issue is not limited to the Challenge 18 solution. When I open the Linear Regression Tool "Example" workflow and run it, the same error pops up.

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 4.10.14 PM.png

Since it may be relevant, this message only occurs on my new 2020 M1-powered MacMini and it occurs even after I just rebuilt my virtual Windows 10 for ARM environment. Before I deactivated my Alteryx Designer license on my now retired 2012 Intel-powered MacBook Pro, I was able to run the solution without issue using a virtual Windows 10 (regular not ARM) environment.

Another possible relevant tidbit, the MacMini installation is licensed for the following products. Note, the "Alteryx Intelligence Suite" entry at the top has a license while the bottom reference shows "Trial" in the License key column.

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 4.13.30 PM.png

My MacBook Pro laptop was only licensed for Alteryx Designer.

I have Googled the error message in whole and in parts more times than I can count but I could never find a solution that applied to my situation.

So, I am reaching out to the community for assistance. Please help.

4 REPLIES 4
TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @rtweaverjr 
Thanks for reaching out! I would recommend you open a case with our support team on this issue as it seems to relate to licensing.

You can open a case from the Case Portal!
Thanks,

TrevorS

Community Moderator
rtweaverjr
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks @TrevorS but I don't seem to have access to the Customer Support Case Portal.

I checked and both my Designer license and my Community Profile are using the same email address.

So, I just sent an email to support@alteryx.com for help.

rtweaverjr
6 - Meteoroid

After working extensively with Alteryx Customer Support and lot of Googling and trial and error on my part, I have identified the cause of my R Tool issues.

Unfortunately, it was not a nice and neat licensing issue that could be quickly resolved.

No, it appears the issue has everything to do with Windows 10 for ARM.

After upgrading to a M1-powered Mac Mini, I installed Parallels Desktop 17 for Mac (the latest version). I used Parallels to create a new VM with Windows 10 for ARM as the OS. I had to use the ARM version (instead of a standard version) because the M1 chip is an ARM chip.

After installing Alteryx Designer and RInstaller (both v2021.3.1), I discovered that the R Tool did not work anymore. All of the other popular tools that I use on a daily basis work just not R.

Here's why:

Newer 64-bit versions of R beginning with R-4.0.3. will not run on Windows 10 for ARM. The 32-bit versions will run but that doesn’t help me (or others) since Alteryx Designer only uses the 64-bit version.

I did try to trick the latest version of Alteryx Designer (v2021.3.1) into running v4.0.2 (using an installer from CRAN) but that didn't work. I also tried to pair the latest version of Designer with an older RInstaller file that installs R-3.6.3 but that didn't work either.

My only other idea for getting R to work on Windows 10 for ARM is to revert to Alteryx Designer v2021.1.5 whose companion RInstaller file installs R-3.6.3. I haven’t tried this yet and I’m not sure I will.

So, in summary, before you make the leap to a M1-powered Mac be aware of the R Tool issue and how it might impact your Alteryx workflows.

williamchan
10 - Fireball

hi @rtweaverjr 

following up on this thread as I'm experiencing the same issue.

I'm on a MacBook Pro M1 2021 running Parallels 18 for Mac using Alteryx Designer Version: 2022.1.1.30961 with R on 3.6.3. Unfortunately I get the same error as you so seems like reverting back to 3.6.3 doesn't solve the issue. I'm tempted to try a 2021 version of Alteryx.

Labels