Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error : Publish to tableau server - select an existing project

Philimor
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I'm having an issue with the Publish to Tableau server tool version 2.0.0 (using Alteryx 2018.2 and Tableau server 2018.1)

I've installed it from the official gallery. I've signed in to the Tableau server without problem, then went to the "Configure Data Source" part. I can see the projects, I can enter a data source name, choose the output options and data source format . everything is fine. When I validate, I get an error message "Select an existing project".

Of course the workflow won't run.. but I can't access the configuration anymore. There is a  spinning circle that never stops and the configuration panel is not accessible. All I can do is deleting the object from the workflow.

I've installed previous versions of the tool. So just after dropping it on my canvas, I can right click and select the version (1.09.2 or 1.08.1). Both versions work and allow me to publish to the server, in .tde or .hyper, which is what I want...

Maybe a next version will solve this issue, but if there is a solution to it, I would be interested in knowing it.

thank you

43 REPLIES 43
Philimor
6 - Meteoroid

it seems that Alteryx 2019.2 was still using the old version of the macro that has been installed under Alteryx 2019.1 (or earlier).

I've noticed that when I created a new workflow. When running it, there was a message in the result windows saying that Alteryx found a duplicate version of the macro in the directory "c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\alteryx\tools\Publish to tableau Serveur_v2.0.0"

So I deleted this directory (after a backup). I relaunched Alteryx, created a new workflow. And now it works.

So the proposed solution to install Alteryx 2019.2 works if you delete older version 2.0.0 of the Publish to Tableau server macro.

SimonSturges
7 - Meteor

Thanks Phil, I was having the same issue as other users when i was getting the "Select an existing project" message. I followed your steps, (I'm running Alteryx 2019.2.5.62427) and it fixed the issue. 

Thank you for sharing. 

Simon

nrao
5 - Atom

I am still receiving this error (Alteryx 2019.2.5.62427). When I look in the AppData directory mentioned above, I do not have an older version of the Macro to delete. I had no previous version of Alteryx installed on this machine. I'm connecting to Tableau Server v2018.1. Has anyone else found any other solutions?

Thanks,

Nahush

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@nrao 

The user directory Phil mentioned is not the only place that the Publish to Tableau Server tool can be installed.  The main location is %ProgramData%\Alteryx\Tools\.

For completeness, here is a more exhaustive list of locations that have been relevant over the years so that you can delete all spurious instances of the Publish to Tableau Server (PtTS) tool:

• Delete the directory D:\Applications\Alteryx\bin\HtmlPlugins\PublishToTableauServer_v2.0.0 as well as any PtTS directories in
  • %AppData%\Alteryx\Tools
  • %ProgramData%\Alteryx\DataProducts\DataSets\Content\TableauTools
  • %ProgramData%\Alteryx\DataProducts\DataSets\Content

Please note that running Designer as admin will allow you to install tools in the main location using .yxi files.  You'll want to navigate to the package from within Designer using the Open Workflow function.

Run as admin.png

Navigate using Open Workflow.pngSelect the package to open.png

Install for all users.png

Lisa LePome
Principal Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.
nrao
5 - Atom

Thanks, LisaL. Just to make sure I understand... you are suggesting I do the following?

1. Delete all instances of the Publish to Tableau Server macro from the locations you listed
  2. Re-install the Publish to Tableau Server macro using the latest .yxi file for this macro that is available on the Alteryx Analytics Gallery (https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Publish-to-Tableau-Server-Tool/599c93c8f499c7141c13a619/run)? The latest version on the gallery appears to be v2.0.0, which appears to be the same as what is currently installed with my instance of Alteryx Designer.

Thanks,

Nahush

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@nrao 

Basically, yes, but if you don't want the most recent, you could install the one that suits your situation best.  Having various duplicate directories does sometimes cause problems, so from here on out, I recommend you install everything "for all users" so it's all in %ProgramData%\Alteryx\Tools (or whatever the equivalent is on your machine).

Lisa LePome
Principal Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.

Hi @lepome ,

Despite following your complete instructions to delete the tool from all duplicate locations, and then reinstall while running Alteryx as an Administrator, still I continuously receive the "Select an Existing Project" error from v2.2.0 of the tool.

Is there an known issue with using two instances of the Publish to Tableau Server tool inside of a single workflow?

• In other words, from the same workflow I need to publish two separate data sources to a Tableau Server, and the 2nd of the two tools is giving the error message

Curiously, it sometimes seems to publish the data source anyway, despite throwing the error message.

This Publish to Tableau Server tool has been in a broken state for a very long time now.  I wish it would just work.  And also, I expect it should just work.  Alteryx had the biggest sponsorship booth at the Tableau conference last year, and yet somehow the Publish to Tableau Server tool has been broken ever since.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Keith

Pamela
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Lisa -

I receive this error for one of the sites on Tableau Server.  The tool works fine for the remaining sites on Tableau Server.  The tool is failing for a site that has 575 projects and 1,000+ published data sources.  Is there a limitation on the number of projects or data sources in the tool?  Why is one site failing while the other sites work ok.

arjunverma
5 - Atom

Running as an admin, I'm not able to see the .yxi file despite it being in my download folder. 

arjunverma_0-1582054366973.png

Julien_B
8 - Asteroid

@arjunverma my question might sounds dumb : Have you double clicked onto the .yxi file in order to install it first and then restart Alteryx ?

Labels