Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error: Output Data (39): Unable to create backup, Access is denied. (5)

AjaySetty
8 - Asteroid

Hello Experts,

I have built one workflow with around 5 input files but linking all 6 output sheets into one file, but I receive this error for few outputs like below screenshot.

Does anybody know how to correct this?

AjaySetty_0-1596728087784.png

13 REPLIES 13
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This usually means that you're trying to write multiple data streams to the same file at the same time, i.e. multiple sheets to the same excel file. 

While the Output Data tool is busy writing to one sheet, the file is locked, so if another part of the workflow is trying to write to another sheet in the same file at the same time, it creates this error.

The way to solve it is to use Block Until Done Tools to make sure that the write process for one sheet is complete before another one starts. Block Until Done is in the Developer Tool Palette.

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Here's an example

DavidP_0-1596748225806.png

AjaySetty
8 - Asteroid

Hi David

I am already using block until done just before each output tool but still have this error pop up, I cannot put block until done tool in the beginning as the workflow flows from different inputs and flows separately.

AjaySetty_0-1596790827078.png

AjaySetty
8 - Asteroid

I've tried this too, same error!

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @AjaySetty 

You can remove the Block Until Done Tools in your workflow, they won't have any effect. You should look at the example of how the BUD tool works and also the example I provided in my previous post.

I would put BUD tools in 2 places in your workflow to solve the problem, shown below.

The 2nd one (on the right) would be 2 BUD's cascaded so that you can split one input to 4 outputs, like this:

DavidP_1-1596791514409.png

DavidP_0-1596791301818.png

AjaySetty
8 - Asteroid

Hi David

Really appreciate your help, now i understand how the BUDs are used.

I did place the BUDs exactly in the way you suggested but still the error occurs again.

Any other way around?

AjaySetty_0-1596822110655.png

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @AjaySetty 

Can you post your workflow, then I can have a look.

AjaySetty
8 - Asteroid

Hi David

Thanks a lot for trying to help me out, I did get help from an solution engineer and it was very simple 'enabling to use AMP Engine' under runtime.

Its solved now.

AjaySetty_0-1597133804580.png

Corinne_W
5 - Atom

For me, the output file was open. Close the output file and run. That fixed it 🙂 

Labels