Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Error Opening SHP File - Cannot Find File

cmtella245
5 - Atom

I've been having this issue with a .SHP file and can't seem to figure out what the cause is. At first I was thinking it was because the file was saved to a drive location and not to my C drive, but that hasn't solved the issue. Anyone encounter this issue before? 

cmtella245_0-1642534381531.png

4 REPLIES 4
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @cmtella245 

I tried to reproduce this with some of the census spatial data I have. I noticed that when the associated .shx file was not in the same directory I would get this same error. Does your shp file have an associated shx file? If so moving it to the same directory should work.

I don't work with spatial data enough to have a solid answer for you unfortunately. 

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Here's another thread on this that seems to confirm it, you'll need to make sure the other files (shx, dbf, prj, etc) are also there. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/ERROR-loading-shape-file-Govt-UK-Local...

Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@Luke_C is correct. Shapefiles have between 3-5 files with the same prefix that must all be in the same folder for the shapefile to open.

John Hollingsworth
Clear Channel Outdoor
Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar
Labels