Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Error: Decimal place issue when converting Double to String to add '%' symbol suffix

madhurinani
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

Below are the requirements:

I need to substract 2 percentage columns (current FD Own %) and (pq) column and find out the difference and then add the % symbol to display as a percentage substraction.

I was able to do that and create a new column= Change.

Now to add the % symbol at the end, i belive i need to convert the Double data type into a string and use the TOSTRING function to add that symbol.

When I add that I see that my 2 decimal places are now becoming like 10,12. 

Can anyone help me in that?

The highlighted part of the screenshot is where I see the issue.

I have also attached with workflow file.

6 REPLIES 6
DataNath
17 - Castor

@madhurinani you should just be able to do it all in one step with a Formula like the following, without the need to change datatypes etc for the sake of getting the right display (obviously replacing my dummy fields with your own):

DataNath_0-1656933667477.png

Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @madhurinani,

to do this, you can directly use a formula and create a new text field using a formula like this one : 

tostring (
[val_Number] * 100,
2)+'%'

it will convert the value in string, then I did a simple calculation on a field. It works perfectly on my side, you may want to use a round function before though.

Hope it helps.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@madhurinani I updated your workflow by making the below changes 

binuacs_0-1656972306255.png

madhurinani
8 - Asteroid

Hello All,

I am still facing the error as noticed by the client recently.

Step 1: I have created a new category column which is an nested if-else condition. Hence all the columns are in DOUBLE format. Works fine as expected.

Step 2: I convert the 3 columns in STRING as I need to append % symbol. (image attached)

Step 3: I create 3 formulas to append the %symbol for all the columns. 

Problem: When I use the step 2 SELECT logic to convert the from DOUBLE to STRING, my values in the Change column change.

Attached pics.

How Can i resolve this issue. Any help would be appreciated.
Ideally the value should be 0.08% only

Thanks.

calebdugger
7 - Meteor

I don't believe there is any reason to add the "Select" tool as that's not how you'd want to change it to a String field. I had a similar scenario just today.

The field was numeric, but I wanted to change to a string so I could add a '%' to the end.

I tried the first screenshot first and it wouldn't work because the "Data type" was still a numeric type, but you can update it right on the "Formula" tool as you see in the second screenshot.

As you can see, it worked like I wanted it to after that. Hopefully this helps!

#1 = Showed an Error 

calebdugger_2-1657753433996.png

#2 = Worked great!

calebdugger_3-1657753490998.png

madhurinani
8 - Asteroid

madhurinani_0-1657806450385.png

@calebdugger : I tried your logic and its not working. My data type is DOUBLE and I used your formula to convert into a STRING. It shows a Parse Error at char error.

I tried both ways, adding a new column as well as editing the same column. 

Labels