Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error - Charting Tool

jbh1128d1
10 - Fireball

Anyone else getting an error when running version 11.7 from the charting tool?  

I get an error that states:

"Font 'MT Extra' does not support style 'Bold'."  I thin hit ok. and get another error:

"Missing XML node: AllowMultiple"  I then get another error:

"An Unhandled Exception occurred.  A previous action may not have completed successfully.  Click OK to send the development team the error log so that we can fix this error in a subsequent release."

Then Alteryx freezes.  

This happen to anyone else?

8 REPLIES 8
mc2334
5 - Atom

I have also been having this issue for the past week. Only solution I've found is to delete the tool after the first click where the "MT Bold" error pops up and redo the charting tool each time... Tedious and annoying but better than the whole application freezing & having to force quit and potentially lose unsaved work. 

jbh1128d1
10 - Fireball

Hi MC2334.

Here is what @JeffF sent to me. 

"If you look in your registry using regedit.exe , and navigate to
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts

Do you see MT Extra listed? If so, is it pointing to a valid file? If no, try to change to  MTEXTRA.TTF. 

I would mark this a solution but it belongs to @JeffF.  Hope this helps you.

jlefeaux
8 - Asteroid

The registry edit worked for me!  Unfortunately I can't tag JeffF here, but his solution was the ticket.

Jchantnicki
7 - Meteor

I am having the same issue. When I try to to point MT Extra to MTEXTRA.TTF I get the following windows error:

Cannot edit MT Extra (TrueType): Error writing the value's new contents.

Any thoughts?

MikeSp
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello @Jchantnicki,

You may not have the proper access to your registry to perform this modification. It may be worthwhile to reach out to your IT team, or whomever manages the administration of your machine, to check this entry.

As a quick note, this particular problem appears currently when the font isn't existing at the location the registry specifies, so we try to use that font and can't. Your IT team will likely need to replace the font in the original location the registry specifies, repair the font location to an existing file within the registry, or remove the entry, which option they wish to use is up to their discretion. Any of these options should repair the issue.

Feel free to reach out to our support team if you need additional guidance!

Mike Spoula
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx
AnthonyB
5 - Atom

Not sure if this is well known yet or not, but this appears to be related to the January MS Office update that removed the equation editor and consequently MTEXTRA.TTF.  Fortunately I had a copy elsewhere on my hard drive which I have found, backed up against further attempts on the part of MS to delete it, and replaced in the appropriate location.

See: https://0patch.blogspot.ca/2018/01/bringing-abandoned-equation-editor-back.html

for details.

ToddW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

As an alternative to editing the Registry entry, you can reinstall the font to resolve the issue.  You can download the font from http://www.dessci.com/en/dl/fonts/getfont.asp (you'll want the TrueType font version).

I have also seen this same issue with the MT Extra font in the Report Map tool.

Pro tip:  If you have unsaved work when you get this error message, you may be able to click 'Undo' (Edit>Undo or Ctrl+Z) a few steps to remove the offending tool (Charting tool and Report Map tools confirmed) and save your workflow.  Close Alteryx and reinstall the font or update the registry and your workflow should open without error!

JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi All,

I'm one of the moderators for Community.

I went ahead and marked the solution here to help other users who may be experiencing this issue.

Thanks for your great contributions to community!

Jess Silveri
Manager, Technical Account Management | Alteryx
Labels