Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error: Batch Macro not reading in files

ZeeshaanH
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I need to input multiple excel files; they have the same schema and sheet name. I have tried using a Dynamic Input tool, but I get the error of this 'file has a different schema than the 1st file in the set'. I have checked the data; the columns are in the same order, but there is a different data type for one column which is causing this error.

In the dynamic input tool, I have chosen the 'First row is data' to try and bypass this issue, but unfortunately it is still there.

Therefore, I decided to do some research on Batch Macros and have gone through multiple tutorials; yet I can't get it to work. 

I have a batch macro which I update the action tool to update the full path; in the interface designer, I also choose the option of Auto configure by Name.

In the actual workflow, I use the full path plus the sheet name, but only the first file gets read and the others get ignored. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Zeeshaan

4 REPLIES 4
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @ZeeshaanH 

Can you try adding a browse tool after your batch macro output and run the workflow again?

ZeeshaanH
7 - Meteor

That works! 

Do you know why I needed to add a browse tool and not just look at the result toggle from the macro tool instead? 

Thanks for your help and quick response! @AngelosPachis 

Zeeshaan

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Not sure @ZeeshaanH , I think it's a has to do with how batch macros output data in the background and was an issue that was always present. You should have a browse tool after your batch macro or at least a tool connected to the macro output to see the complete results in your results window.

There was this idea to fix this: 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Update-the-macro-tool-s-output-anchor-functi...

and indeed there was a temporary fix in version 2020.4, but that caused other issues apparently and the production team couldn't come up with a permanent fix.

ZeeshaanH
7 - Meteor

hmm, okay.

Appreciate the help! 

Thanks

Zeeshaan

Labels